become a real estate inspector from internachi alone ?

I have more than 3 years expirience in residential construction, so i can do the “fast track” option, but it says that in addition to the 90 core hours, i need another 30 core hours , but it doesnt seem that internachi has the additional TREC approved 30 core hours on here … is that correct ? … if so, where can i get those 30 extra core hours at ? does anybody know ? ive tried looking up stuff, have gone to different websites, but i havent found no clear answer … i wish Internachi had all the 120 TREC approved core classes, that would be awesome, but having the 90 is still pretty good, i just am unsure of what to do :s

Related… http://www.nachi.org/forum/f71/professional-inspector-training-83656/

yeah i seen that post, and it is related, but i think he didnt see that you have to have an additional 30 hours, but it seems like he is in the same boat as me … thanks for the reply though

I did the fast track when I got my license. Unless things have changed the fast track only covers 120 hrs and you need letters from people stating your experience. I then havc to do about 300 hrs correspondence prior to taking the state test. I believe things have changed a bit requiring some ride alongs and the state test is now including a national test. I did my training through Champions School. If you contacted them they can fill you in. janie@championsschool.com 281-893-4484 The TREC web sight also spells it out on the inspector section. Hope this helps

Jon even with years of construction experience you’ll need more than 120 hrs like the other guy already said.

Assuming you are going the professional inspector route, you need 328 hours plus 120 hours. The 120 can be substituted (see caveats). So, it is definitely more than merely 120 hours total plus your 3 years experience to become a professional inspector. Good luck. I assume you’ve read it but here it is below straight from TREC’s site.

Individuals seeking a Professional Inspector license must complete and submit the following:

328 classroom hours of core inspector education. Of these hours, the following courses must be taken: 30 hours in Foundation Systems, 25 hours in Roof Systems, 30 hours in Framing, 25 hours in Electrical Systems, 25 hours in HVAC Systems, 25 hours in Plumbing, 12 hours in Building Enclosure, 6 hours in Appliances, 8 hours in Standards of Practice/Legal/Ethics, 8 hours in Standard Report Form/Report Writing, and 6 hours of other core inspection approved courses.

In addition to the 328 hours, one of the following requirements must be met:

120 hours in an experience training module (provide a letter from the education provider or a course completion certificate); or
120 hours inspecting with a licensed professional inspector who can provide a letter certifying attendance; or
3 years as an active licensed professional engineer, engineer-in-training, or licensed or registered architect (provide a license history); or
5 years of personal experience in a field directly related to home inspecting (provide 2 reference letters from persons other than the applicant who has personal knowledge of the applicant’s work).

Jon, no matter how much experience or background you have, I recommend you take either the 120 hours training module or 120 hours inspecting with a licensed Pro Inspector. Of all the hours you will be doing getting your license, those are the important ones. The hands on. Those are the hours that will teach you a method to inspecting the house. Without a method and routine established, you will be prone to missing a lot of the theory leaned in the 328 hours.
If you need any help call me, you’ll find my number on the front page of my website.

those with Hunt as part of their name haven’t fared well over the years

may want to ask why they quit the biz
before you go trying to find a shortcut

There are several institutions listed as approved by TREC that can provide the extra training you need, listed on the TREC website under the inspectors tab. In addition, you can find data on how many people passed the tests who used a particular program. I used AHIT, and was shocked to discover later on that their success rate was fairly low. The state exam practice on this site is very helpful. Also, when you submit your references, be sure the affidavits you collect are notarised, or you will lose time on the application. Good luck!
Will gave me a lot of useful advice when I was going through the process. Thanks, Will! He really will help you with the whole thing like he said.

Yes, Will is great! He is an experienced, knowledgeable, and trusted (Texas) inspector, which in all honesty, is the only reason I linked to his comments in the other (related) thread (above). I knew that he wouldn’t steer anyone wrong.

wow, i wanna thank everybody who responded, excluding that Barry guy … but i was thinking, if i did the 90 core hours on here, and then did this 38 hour core package from Champions school, and i get the 2 affidavids for my expirience, and also get a professional inspector to sponsor me, then with all of that, i can get my real estate inspector license … ?? … seems like that 38 hour package had what was missing for the required 120 “real estate inspector” core hours on here … any thoughts on that ?

Thanks Mark and Jeff for your kinds words, I love you guys too :mrgreen:

Jon, in short, yes (but I would still check with TREC).
90 classroom hours of core Real Estate inspection (which INACHI hours qualifies for the REL, an additional 30 hours (not 38 ), your 2 affidavits and a sponsor (which will be the hardest part to complete).

Here are a few questions for you to think about.
Do you want to have a Professional License, work under another inspector or be able start your own business?
Or
Do you want to have a Real Estate License where you will have to be under the supervision (as indirect as it may be) of a Professional Inspector? Then the day you want to get your Pro license, you will have to take an extra 38 hours + 175 inspections under the belt and pass a new exam.

Is your reason for the “shortcut” with affidavits because of the initial course cost or time?

Lastly, you will find that Barry is one of the most helpful, knowledgeable and experience inspectors there is. He’s the type of guy who will answer your question, post a reference link with a ton more info and will call you directly if the answer is going to be long.
You’ll soon figure out how this message board operates. Sometimes, answers given are direct, other times they are written to make you think. His comment was the latter type of answers :slight_smile: This business can be difficult if you don’t have the business skill required to operate a business. It won’t matter how good of a technician you are.

Call or email TREC to find out the exact answer to your questions, They will want all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed before they will let you test. If you have to redo something it just slows you up. Try and get your professional license now I think you will be happier in the end. Once licensed it isn’t a quick shot to earning money like any business it takes 2 or 3 yrs to start making a living. It is a great and rewarding profession however not a slam dunk. You get your license and then start learning. I did the fast track with letters for the 120 hrs and correspondence for the other. I was in construction for years however that tells you about a home but inspecting it is different. Best of luck and give me a call if you want to talk.940-736-6674

Just noticed you said you have 3 years construction experience-5 years is needed the 3 is for an engineer. Check Bruces post

The 3 years construction experience is for the Real Estate License. The 5 years is for the Professional License (or 3 years as an engineer)

i only need direct answers Will , lol , just kidding … well, kind of kidding … and im sure Barry is the man , but you can understand my reaction to his reply, with me being the new guy and all … but yeah, yall have made me realize that i need to go for the professional license, i truly didnt realize when i first started doing this, i figured i could get my core hours from this website alone, but that is not the case … and yeah, i wanna have my own business and not be under another prefessional home inspector … but i thank all of yall for taking the time to respond to my post, yall are the only home inspectors that ive evwer talked too and i thank yall for yalls time … but i guess im gonna have to borrow the money to do the 328 hour course to get my pro license , but , well … we do what we gotta do

Contact Real Estate Training Systems at 1-888-740-2828 or rets@rets-llc.com about online core courses. www.rets-llc.com

I think you misunderstood Barry’s comment. He happened to look up the name Hunt on the TREC site and all of the inspectors listed were expired.

Barry is certainly top-notch and not only has he been in business a long time, he’s very knowledge, helpful and friendly.

Mr. Hunt,
What part of the state are located? Generally speaking, we all put our home area in the “location” portion of the information.

Good luck