Bedroom w/o grounded outlets

My daugther has a rental where the tennets are looking for some sort of aid for paying rent and the agency that handles that does a inspection of the house. The house was about 90% rewired one of the bedrooms has 2 outlets that are 3 prong but the ground is not there,i checked the the service panel and found the bedroom has the old two wire system to the breakers. What would be the easyist way to correct this problem?

Replace the three prong with two prong receptacles.

That was my thought also

Fill the receptacle ground with epoxy.

The easiest thing (2 prong receptacles are harder to find and expensive.) may be to put a GFCI on the first receptacle on the circuit and label the others “no equipment ground”.

Agree, the two prongs are very hard to find.

thanks guys i found some 2 pronged outlets at home depot for 1.48 i will install them in the morning

Why do people think (2) prong plugs are hard to find. I see them all the time in Home Depot, Lowes and most normal hardware stores. Anyway, if it was MY daughters dwelling or apartment then I would simply meet the code section below which is designed to be a practical safeguard and install the GFCI and label the downstream receptacles as “No Equipment Ground” and “GFCI Protected”.

**[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 Non–Grounding-Type Receptacles. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Where attachment
to an equipment grounding conductor does not exist
in the receptacle enclosure, the installation shall comply
with (D)(3)(a), (D)(3)(b), or (D)(3)©.

(a) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with another non–grounding-type receptacle(s).

(b) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a ground-fault circuit interrupter type
of receptacle(s). These receptacles shall be marked
“No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding conductor
shall not be connected from the ground-fault circuit interrupter-
type receptacle to any outlet supplied from the
ground-fault circuit-interrupter receptacle.

© A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s)
where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the ground fault
circuit interrupter shall be marked “GFCI Protected”
and “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding
conductor shall not be connected between the grounding type
receptacles.
[/size][/FONT]

D’oh! I tried to help a friend find some not long ago and did the searching online. Next time I’ll actually go into a store :oops:

lol…man those big box stores have everything today…:wink:

If all else fails, go to a wholesaler.
They do sell to the public.

Paul
By just adding a GFCI outlet with no equipment ground, isn’t that still a false sense of security? I have run into situations in kitchen areas where GFCI’S are present without a equipment ground and the outlet will not trip properly, please advise.

If yo uare trying to test a GFCI that is not connected to ground with a 3 light tester, it wont work.

Use the test button on the outlet.

I am using my sure tester that simulates a load that should trip, but they never do. I would think in order to function properly, a equipment ground needs to be installed.

Just because your tester doesn’t trip doesn’t mean that the outlet is bad, all it means is your test failed. Your tester won’t work in this situation because you are trying to ground fault the outlet to the ground in the box that does not exist. If you were to actually ground fault to ground it would trip. use the button.

Ed is correct.

The button on the GFCI device is a legitimate test.

I would add that the little “ungrounded” sticker that comes in the packaging of all GFCI’s should be placed on the outlet, to avoid any “false sense of security” concerns. (If I recall, the sticker is required under such circumstances.)

But you still need to verify that the outlet has been de-energized. Many times, the button will trip, and the receptacle will remain hot.

They are readily available at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Outlets-Plugs/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgtZbm4n/R-100356969/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

AFIK it is the only NEC approved method to install a three-prong outlet in an ungrounded system. As mentioned, you must install the “No Equipment Ground” sticker.