"Bee" carefully out there!!! VERY SERIOUS

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please stop to consider carefully whenever you are stung or bitten exactly how you feel, and if you feel ANYTHING abnormal, please get immediate medical attention. Please don't make the mistake of believing that you are immune just because you have had NO PREVIOUS bad reactions.

The Bottom Line

Had we been unable to get him to ER promptly HE WOULD HAVE DIED from Anaphalatic shock, The Doctors say he may have been dead in another 10-15 Min's (we had him in ER within 15 Min's of the stings)

If you have the opportunity, please ask you GP about the risks that you take with your job, and asked if you can be checked for sensitivity to stings and bites, if you have any previous history of bad allergic reactions please get a prescription for EPIPENS to carry in your car/truck.

http://www.epipen.com/howtouse.aspx

BE CAREFULLY OUT THERE, AND DON"T ASSUME YOU ARE IMMUNE TO ANYTHING

On a happier note he should be released from Hospital tomorrow and will make a full recovery, his allergist believes he can be desensitized, so will be in less danger in future. He will be carrying Epipens for the rest of his life however.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi Gerry,(how the hec are you)

thats scarey!

Hi Carla,

I am just fine and dandy.

I gotta tell you I was only sligthly less scared that the inspector I was with, I never again want to see a fellow inspector that close to deaths door.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Great post Gerry!

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi to all,

I have just spoken to the inspector I was with yesterday, he has now been moved out of ICU and into a regular room he will be kept in for another 48 hours.

He is happy for me to have told you this tale as a warning and does not mind being identified, the member involved is Joe Burkeson, I know you will wish him well, and hope as I do that he has a speedy recovery.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Wish him only the kindest regards and hopes of a speedy recovery for me Gerry.

Originally Posted By: rlind

WOW!

Joe, I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Gerry, thanks so much for sharing Joe's story. It should open a lot of eyes for a lot of HI's out there. Not to forget opening the eyes of anyone else...

Originally Posted By: gporter

I am also allergic to bee’s. I have to take a pill and then head to the E.R.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

In a motocross race I once got a hornet up inside my helmet. Not knowing what to do and worried it would sting my eyeball… I ate it. It stung me in my tongue. My tongue began to swell to the point where I could only breathe through my nose. I finished the race, lost of course, and went right off the course to buzz down the road on my dirt bike to the hospital. I drove right up to the Emergency doors. I ran in mumbling that I’m choking on my own swelling tongue and for them to get a doctor. The nurse looked in my mouth, laughed, and took me to a mirror where I realized that it was 90% in my head… there was only a little bump on my tongue.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

gromicko wrote:
In a motocross race I once got a hornet up inside my helmet. Not knowing what to do and worried it would sting my eyeball... I ate it. It stung me in my tongue. My tongue began to swell to the point where I could only breathe through my nose. I finished the race, lost of course, and went right off the course to race down the road on my dirt bike to the hospital. I drove right up to the Emergency doors. I ran in mumbling that I'm choking on my own swelling tongue and for them to get a doctor. The nurse looked in my mouth, laughed, and took me to a mirror where I realized that it was 90% in my head... there was only a little bump on my tongue.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Nick....I have this mental image of you zapping your tongue at this bee like a frog until you caught him and ate him while trying to concentrate on the race.

There is an analogy here, somewhere. If only Aesop were still writing fables...

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

It felt like my tongue had swollen to the size of a grapefruit. I really thought I was going to choke to death. My whole face went numb.

Looking in the mirror at this little bump on my tongue with the nurse was very embarrassing. But since I already lost the race, and lost my mind... I decided to go for broke. So I asked her out. I lost that one too.

3 strikes, you're out.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

So the moral of the story is…

There's nothing that could be much worse
Than, while racing your bike for the purse,
A bee you have eaten
Causes you to be beaten
And you can't even score with the nurse.

![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Hey, that’s pretty good!

I kind of felt that way too until I realized... the hornet had a worse day.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

jbushart wrote:
So the moral of the story is...

There's nothing that could be much worse
Than, while racing your bike for the purse,
A bee you have eaten
Causes you to be beaten
And you can't even score with the nurse.

![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Most excellent

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: rkulla

I was stung 4 times at one inspection about a month ago by yellow jackets. Dang scary & hurt like heck. My son is allergic so I new to watch out. Try getting a 15 year old to take an eppi pen with him. It’s concerning when he’s out and about. Kids that age are hard to keep tabs on at times. Hard enough getting him to wear a coat when it’s cold out, try having him carry a pen in his pocket.

Nick- little bite-little stinger?? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) Maybe that's why she shot you down??

--
Rex Kulla
Custom Home Inspections
Maple Grove, MN
(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Gerry

Please give Joe our best in his recovery. That was a close one. I was driving down a country road when I saw something out of the corner of my eye fly into the vehicle. Thinking it was a leaf, I drove fpr a few more minutes until I felt a "stinging" or pinching on my back. I yelped and pulled the truck over and stepped out of the vehicle. Looking down on my seat a dead bee dropped into the seat. After getting back in and driving just a minute or two, I started feeling light headed and nausiated. I broke out in a sweat. After about 15 minutes, I started feeling OK. Before next time, I'll make a trip to the Dr's office and have him check me out for allergies. I read that as we get "older" we can get allergies that we never had before. That episode was a first for me.

On another note...Gerry, I haven't been on this board much, but were you not living in Massachussetts before? Your posts show Florida now.

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: cbutler

Gerry,

first, wish Joe the best!

I hope all finds you well.

No news at all here to speak of…

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(Former) Director of Membership @ FREA

chris_butler32@yahoo.com

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

belong in the mountains!

Anyway, having had up to 65 honeybee hives at one time, I thought I'd mention that the venom from honeybees is totally different than that of yellowjackets, hornets and wasps. As critters, they are as similar as cats & dogs. I have yet to hear of anyone who is allergic to both types of venom. Unfortunately, "bees" get a bad rep when people really mean yellowjackets.

In actuality, honeybee venom is used for successfully treating arthritis (look up "apitherapy").

Finally, a honeybee can only sting once, as her (males don't have stingers) stinger is barbed. Then it will die. You will know it is a honeybee sting by the venom sac still attched to your skin. Do not swat at it! Think of a hypo needle; you will actually drive the venom in. Instead, use a pocketknife or fingernail to scrape the stinger away. This will keep more venom from entering.

Yellowjackets and others of their ilk can and will sting repreatedly, like a sewing machine. Their populations reach a peak at this time of year. Don't drink out of an unattended soda can- pour it into a glass!

Russ

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: pehrenpreis

A site with photos of various types of bees, wasps and hornets ect.

http://www.catchitwild.com/catch_it_wild_wildlife_removal_010.htm

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Glad Joe is feeling better. Give that double knot spy my best, sounds like a close one Gerry.

Confucious say, "Man with stinger in tongue maybe should keep mouth closed." ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.