BIG NEW WAY for InterNACHI members to make money! Thoughts please.

From my perspective he is spot on. If I only consider my small part of the world, well then, there are no national builders and the minor things that are on this checklist are done for almost all new construction and have been retrofitted into many older structures. Our biggest builder build 13 homes last year:shock:, all custom. We probably have more builders building non-stick houses then we have building stick frame houses now.

I personally know of two full time SB builders, three full time paper-create, two AAC, four raster/ICF and quite a few who bounce between materials.

There aren’t any professional builders doing rammed earth, cordwood, or the other techniques, but there are several rammed earth buildings and two tire bale buildings being built that I know of.

All of those buildings/builders/owners would not consider this checklist adequate. Most of them know of the LEEDs program and think its a program which is designed to allow a traditional builder to make minor modifications and call themselves ‘green’ so people can feel good without any real changes.

On the other hand, my little outpost here is not typical of the rest of the world/country. As such, and since this checklist and the iNACHI green program live in a world with many national traditional stick frame builders want to use the LEEDs program and the like, then its probably the right thing for most of iNACHI members.

BTW, just so its clear. I’m glad iNACHI is doing a green program, and working toward setting a standard even if that standard doesn’t work for me, I think it’s a good thing as we need to establish a starting point and then we can move forward from there.

– bz

We are the first to create such a checklist for exising homes (which is what most inspections are performed on). http://www.moveincertified.com/download/greencertifiedchecklist.pdf Other standards are mostly building standards for new construction only.

Sounds like a great addition for inspection services. Go Green.

John

John M. Wickline
JW Home Inspections, Inc.
Hilton Head Island, SC
JWInspect@hargray.com

We have a couple major newspapers doing articles on our checklist.

Good Idea but I wonder how you are going to be able to answer a lot of those questions on an existing home.

Also on the first page the first item says that the house “face points south”.
Is that intended or should it just say “faces south”?

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BOB%7E1.ROB/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

That looks weird. I was trying to copy and paste an image of the item in question.

Didn’t work.:roll:

The house facing South has to do with passive solar energy. This is an in depth design detail for energy consumption. Just facing south is actually meaningless. It may sound good, but misses the point.

Nachi is doing the right thing by getting into the “Green” market, but we need to be careful. With this checklist, we could green certify a home that most likely is not green at all. The home could be an energy hog, even if it passes this checklist.

Lets be careful not to be embarrassed.

It is technically possible, but very unlikely. The checklist is sound and based on everything known to date about green building. The south facing question is only for cold climates, helps with lighting costs too, and is only worth 8 points out of the total. http://www.moveincertified.com/download/greencertifiedchecklist.pdf

True, some materials are relevant in some parts of the country and some are not.

Nick, in #1, missing the “n” in within

Mic

Yeah, I know, that was Chris just now, he went in to fix one thing and messed up another, he’s fixing.

I’m very happy to see this new designation. It provides the customer with some idea of how the house rates. The process will evolve and be improved upon and provide some useful information.

I am new to NACHI and will make sure that I follow this process. One this is for sure, properly implemented, it sure can’t hurt

Absolutely. Green isn’t even a good word beccause it’s so general. Basically, it refers to energy-efficiency and sustainability and the systems, materials and operations which support these concepts. It’s new, it’s important and it’s vague!

The Green Building course is designed to try to define these terms more completely, cut back on unprovable real esatate claims and to educate Home Insepctors about energy-efficent systems and sustainable materials with which they might not yet be familiar.

I did a draw inspection today on a “green building”.

P2090103 (Small).JPG

P2090122 (Small).JPG

P2090110 (Small).JPG

[QUOTE=gromicko]
http://www.moveincertified.com/green[

Nick:
You got a great thing going here.
More should get on this run-away-train.
It will gather speed.
My new home 5-6 weeks to move in day registered a clear 227 points.
I incorporated many of new (but old) ideas of how a home could be built.
Just to add some new ideas:
reclaimed lumber for floors and ceilings,
low volatile organic paints,
wood from eco-managed forests,
higher density attic insulation (Roxul)
drywall pieces used in wall insulation as a noise barrier (and less material in the dumpster),
finger jointed dimension lumber,
no carpets just area rugs,
saved all lumber scraps to be burned in an epa rated wood burning appliance.
These are just few of the concepts put to good practical use in new home construction.](“http://www.nachi.org/moveingreen.htm”)

www.moveincertified.com/gogreen

Take the little consumer quiz. 20 questions.

I added the link and picture to my site. Thanx InterNACHI.

Now some code to be able to put the quiz directly on our own websites would be grand.

I agree…

That would be great! :cool: