InterNACHI and BuyWise offering Energy Star training in Ontario.

Great News Nick, this will open a new door for HI’s to keep busy and pick up some extra ancillary work along the way. MNR has closed the door on energy advisers, this is a way to get in and earn some of that potentially locked market. An added bonus to doing the inspection as well would be to include it while your there.

That probably would be a first!! The folks don’t even own the home (and may not for months until closing)… they will not pay for something they might not ever use (if the deal falls through)!

Paul Gagliardi NACHI08121504 BuyWise

SO, a new member…err…vendor for at least 12-15 days (notice the join date) in INACHI…THE WORLD’S LARGEST HOME INSPECTION VENDORS ASSOCIATION. Want to sell your wares, join INACHI!! Better go to where HI’s won’t pay much for membership but man, they will spend a lot to get more certifications!!!

Must be real fertile ground up here, so much so that the next big convention is in Toronto again after being there just a year ago!!!

CAHPI and OAHI rule on the company’s website…not a mention of INACHI!!! The move appears to be for the financial gain of this company/individual only…got a moneymaking idea, let Nickey help you!! Get on the vendors list!! Buy a membership!!

From the website:

"Industry Standards
BuyWise™™ Home Inspectors are trained to conduct Home Inspections in accordance with the ““Standards of Practice”” and ““Code of Ethics”” established by the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI). The purpose of the Standards of Practice is to establish a minimum and uniform standard for Home Inspectors in Canada. The Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics can be reviewed at: and then select your provincial association."

**Preparing For Your Inspection

**No home is perfect, therefore it is important to be aware of any issues before you buy or sell your home or business.

Before you book an inspection, there are a few things you should know. In Canada, there is no government regulation governing home inspectors. For that reason, it is important to interview your inspector prior to hiring him/her.

  1. Training: Find out what type of formal training you inspector completed. Professional Affiliations: Ask what associations he or she belongs to. Most associations such as the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI) and Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors (CAHPI) have membership requirements that include minimum levels of experience and training as well as adherence to their “Standards of Practice” and “Codes of Ethics”
  2. Visit their association’s websites (]( and confirm that he/she is listed in the “Find an Inspector” section of the websites.

I gather you have never tried to pre-sell something then, you know after the inspection and then they move in, they can have an audit done and it was covered from the closing cost.
Seems everything with you has to come with a downplay on what people say or do, coming from you it get old, same song and dance Brian…
Marketing or working on ways to make money today tommorrow and in the next couple months keeps the green coming on a steady flow, something even you want…
As for the convention, there are more members in Ontario then out east, but if you want a convention out east let me know and I’ll do my best to bring one there, question is are you willing to come If we did bring one to your door.

I see you rank efficiency before foundations, and you comment on me suggesting it, tsk tsk like I said your always tying to dump on others, its getting sorry by the miniute Please stop with this insistent your better crap. last I checked your an applicant unqualifed to use the logo, but I wont hold that against you, I do know what uyou have done, and if you wanted Brian you could offer a lot of information, but you choose to harbour this chip on your shoulder.
All the best to ya, merry xmas if i dont post to you again

Am I understanding this properly?
InterNACHI is supporting and advertising that I should take some sort of certification from and give money to and therfore giving a maketing advantage to a direct competitor in my own market.

Please say it ain’t so!

So Stewart what is the alternative? Not being certified and losing all the possibilities? Looks like they already have the advantage…I would suck it up and get the class and certification. Choice is yours. But I will guarantee you that NOT having the certification is not going to open up any doors.

Russell ,your points are well taken and I will in all likelyhood suck it up. I will however be looking for an alternative. I do not know Mr Gagliardi personally but I am sure he is a fine person. Thanks for your input.

Paul is a good guy and while he is an entrepreneur, he also is trying to offer opportunities to fellow inspectors.

Don’t be mistaken and think this is for everyone or that it is easy to get. It is costly, meaning there is a fair sized investment needed, and there is no guarantee you will make any money at it. However, like any opportunity, it is up to you to make it work. I know Paul and his people will do their best to help.

Bill Mullen

Brian, the site was corrected today to read:

Also, see the scrolling InterNACHI logo on left of home page

I spoke to them today. Anyone can apply to take the course and there’s no discount for NACHI members. What does the partnership provide for us?


Ask them if, after auditor certification, you can work independently or must you work under their banner and pay a part of your fee to them or be paid a set fee by them as the “authorized service provider” who have with the contract with the federal Office of Energy Efficiency (Natural Resources Canada). That’s the way it works down here…unless your the licensed service provider you’re working for someone else!!!

Get all the little details and know where you’ll stand. Call the federal office mentioned above to find out if you can become a licensed/authorized service provider after being trained and certified!!

You are right Brian.
You work through them. If you make $500 for a job, they take about $200.
Training is $1600 and equipment costs about $4000.
Apparently the government is not offering any more licenses directly.

Breaking news: InterNACHI members now get an exclusive 10% discount on all training.

Being trained as an ECO energy advisor should not cost any money at all. Your training is done by the service organization and will include classroom hours as well as field assignments. Once the trainer will determine that you are good to go, then you will take NRCan test and if you pass you become certified. But you will still need to work for the service organization that holds a license.

ENERGY STAR on the other hand is a completely different service as it implies to new homes only. You need to take building science courses and do a few field assignments. Your service organization will certify you through NRCan. After this you are on your own in finding builders and working with them. So I don’t know what $1600 include but it seems a little steep. And I absolutely don’t understand why you need to pay them $200 for making $500 (if this applies to ENERGY STAR). If this is for ECO, then the prices vary. The cost for the blower door is in fact close to $4000. But if you are looking to be involved full time in energy audits, this investment will pay for itself rather quickly.


When you say Energy Star, are you referring to EnerGuide for New Houses? I don’t think there is any “Energy Star” program through NRCan is there?

Rodney, there are three programs currently administering by NRCan for new homes: EnerGuide for New Houses, ENERGY STAR and R-2000. See it here The difference between EnerGuide for New Houses and ENERGY STAR is that the house may not comply with ENERGY STAR technical specifications but builder may still want to have it rated on the EnerGuide Rating scale. In this case he will enrol the house with the service organization and get an EnerGuide label, but not ENERGY STAR label.

Energy Star program is not avail in N.S., thats why I hadn’t heard of it. Thanks for the link.


Can’t be done. Eco evaluations can ONLY be done for the current owner.
NRCan wants municipal tax roll numbers on every evaluation, the process is a one time program

I do them BTW

Doug, I was implying that you could do a pre sale for the audit while your doing the inspection, or advertise that you do audits, but in my typing and thinking it got missed around the elbow and never made it to the post, but I still think the pre selling is good marketing, just as if there talking about doing renovations I would start to pre sell the OverSeeit inspection, and go from there, and then offer a maintenance inspection yearly.

sell sell sell its what makes the wheels move forward