Bonding Question

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

At a I pool I recently inspected, I noticed that the spa pump was not bonded back to the pool pump…is that an issue?

I only ask, because they could be run independant from each other....am I missing anything in the bonding world?

Originally Posted By: jpope

the pool pump would be what you are looking for as well as bonding with all other equipment.

All equipment should be bonded as well as all metal within 10 feet of the water including window frames, slides, diving boards etc.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jpope wrote:
All equipment should be bonded as well as all metal within 10 feet of the water including window frames, slides, diving boards etc.

All fixed metal, 4" or greater in the least dimension, within 5 feet horizontally of the pool water and within 12 feet vertically above the overflow level of the pool (or a higher raised spa if you have, like we have down here, raised spas attached to the pool).

Think of it as a box you place over the pool, 10 feet larger than the pool (5 feet on each side and end) and 12 feet high. Any metal in that 'box' needs to be bonded back to the pool steel as a common bonding grid. Each one, individually, does not need to go back to the pool steel, but needs to be bonded to a bond which does go back to the pool steel.

As well as all electrical associated with the water circulating system (the pool pump, spa pump, waterfall pump, etc.).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Okay, so get technical on me icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jpope wrote:
Okay, so get technical on me ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Just following your lead. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

You lead and I'll follow.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I understand that…but my question is this…

There are 2 pumps serving the pool...one is serves the main function, and the other is used to supply the "spa bubbles". The latter of the two did not have a bond wire attached to its bonding lug...does it need to have a separate bond wire to the first pump?

It needs to be bonded, yes.

A bonding wire directly to the other pump is not necessarily the only correct means. A bonding wire to other properly bonded equipment would suffice as well.

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Woe! Ever have that feeling when you see something in your memory that triggers that part in your home inspector spirit?

I am glad I posted this!

Thank you Mr Pope...and Mr Peck!