equipment bonding (pool heater, pump)

Originally Posted By: srowe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved double insulation and providing a means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non-current carrying metal parts shall not be bonded.

Originally Posted By: jpope

There are newer systems that don’t require external bonding of their bodies. The casings and cabinets are vinyl/plastic.

The portion of Joe's reference is of little consequence to the HI as these are typically internal configurations of the manufactured system (pump, heater, or other equipment) that aren't usually visible.

From the HI's perspective, if there is a bonding lug, it requires bonding.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

I sent him the handbook reference, and it had the images called exhibits that will support the need for the rule to be applied.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Quote:
From the HI's perspective, if there is a bonding lug, it requires bonding.

Both the pump and heater housing had bonding lugs and the pump even had a sticker stating BONDING.

The owner had the original contractor make repairs of items I called out and I guess this was a "HOT" topic between the owner and buyers. Contractor is stating that it was not required when house was built.

Either way, the bonding lugs were present and I suggested bonding. If the sellers (or contractor) want to get a letter from an electrician stating otherwise then more power to them.

![](upload://tD8rHtiq3SOH0UeusFUALa2SqLD.jpeg)

JOE T.
What I would LIKE to know is HOW LONG has the NEC reference been applicable/ how far back 680.26 (B)(4) goes?

THANKS!!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Call the NFPA Library at 617-770-3000 and ask them to help you with the question as to when the rule was added.

Contact the product manufacturer or search on the web to find their specifications.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: mlong

srowe wrote:
Both the pump and heater housing had bonding lugs and the pump even had a sticker stating BONDING.

The owner had the original contractor make repairs of items I called out and I guess this was a "HOT" topic between the owner and buyers. Contractor is stating that it was not required when house was built.

Either way, the bonding lugs were present and I suggested bonding. If the sellers (or contractor) want to get a letter from an electrician stating otherwise then more power to them.

I think you made the right call. I don't know for sure when these regs were put in place, but I started building swimming pools in '83, and I know they were in place then, and I'm fairly certain they were in place for several years prior to that. Of course, different locales adhere to codes differently. Regardless of whether or not it was required at the time the house was built, it certainly is a safety issue, and should be noted as such. Somewhat like kitchen and bath GFCI outlets. In Maryland, where I built, the electrical inspectors were kind of nuts about the bonding around pools. I know of more than one builder (myself included ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ) that had to jackhammer out a concrete deck, because the concrete had been poured before the bonding on the reinforcement steel was inspected. After you do that once, it kind of sticks in your head, and you don't make that mistake again. Basically, though, any metal that is in anyway connected to the pool; reinforcement steel, handrails, iron fences, niches for underwater lights, etc., has to be bonded together.

--
Mark Long
Peace of Mind Home Inspections
http://www.pomhi.net

Originally Posted By: lkage

srowe wrote:
If the sellers (or contractor) want to get a letter from an electrician stating otherwise then more power to them.

Possibly literally. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

In 1975, the oldest book I have, it was 680-22(a)(4). “All metal parts of equipment in the water circulating system<shall be bonded>”

Correct me if I am wrong… If the AHJ (local code says not necessary) decides not to call it out , it would be OK or does the NEC have precedence?

Originally Posted By: bbadger

srowe wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong... If the AHJ (local code says not necessary) decides not to call it out , it would be OK or does the NEC have precedence?

If it is a true local code, or in other words an amendment to the NEC then it could be OK

Or if the AHJ provides written special permission then it could be OK.

Now, that said I can not begin to imagine anyplace or AHJ doing either of the above moves.

Besides the fact that the bonding is critical to safety it is not in anyway a hardship to provide the needed bonding.

There would be little motivation to amend the bonding requirements or give special permission to ignore the requirements.

I know if I was an AHJ I would not even consider providing written special permission for this issue...no way.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Does the bonding have to the reinforcing steel grid or can it be bonded to other bonded material such as a screened enclosure.

example;
screen bonded to shell
pump bonded to screen

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Some inspectors may have another opinion but I would not accept the screen cage as the bonding path between pool steel and the pump. They would be making up a #8 solid copper jumper between the pool steel pigtail and the pump.

You also can’t use one of those drill screws the screen guys like to make the screen cage bond. It has to be a “through bolt” on the lug.

If you do have a structural post, typically a 4x4 1/8" thick square tube, you could drill and tap a hole but the regular screen cage material is not thick enough to hold tapped threads.

There is also a problem with stainlerss bolts tapped into aluminum if you are near the ocean. Salt will cause that joint to form a non-conductive white oxide, eventually just rotting out the threads and hole. That is why we really want it through bolted with a nut on the back.

In my own pool I brought out radials from the pool steel in 6 locations and picked up all 4 corners of my cage along with half way down the long walls. I figure that will also give me some lightning protection by forming a faraday cage around the pool.