Bonding wire installation requirements ??

I just looked at an new pool installation and all the electrical installation was fine with being in metal conduit 6" in the ground etc. However, the bonding wire from the motor to a metal conduit connection about 25ft away was just floating beneath the surface and I was wondering if there are any requirements regarding the bonding wire installation.

There are no specific rules on the 680.26 solid 8 ga bonding conductors. They can be spliced, using any listed device and there are no particular burial requirements. They usually get buried when the pool plumber backfills his pipes since most tend to go in the same directions but when one just takes out over the yard the installer has a moral responsibility to protect it but not a legal one. For a home inspector that does not matter. If you think it is subject to physical damage you should write it up.

Just make sure someone does not do the mistake and thinks the bonding grid connection should be connected with the grounding connection to the actual PUMP…not the bonding…but the grounding from the service panel to the pump for the normal wiring…

Some people get it confused and think the pools grid gets connected to the dwellings grounding system…two different things.

I figured I should add…While technically at SOME point… it could happen…lol…I guess what I was making sure you do not see people taking the # 8 AWG back to the panel itself…lol…

Wow…that was may more information that was needed…lol

The two systems do get connected together, we just don’t like to talk about it and they are wired separately. The EGCs of all of that equipment will still ensure the pool grid is solidly connected to the ground electrode, admit it or not. The only time the code actually addresses this is the FPN to 680.26(A) and basically says you are not required to take the #8 back to the panel.
Some inspectors get their panties in a wad saying this should not be connected at all but they can’t ignore the deck box connection that does it or the case of the pool pump that does it or the case of the Spa Link A/C controller and on and on. I have so many connections I just consider my inground pool as my best Ufer although I can’t count it in 250.54.
Since my pool is bonded to the spa via 680.26 conductors I end up with 4 more EGC conductors and 4 EMT connections.

lol…but it is not a direct connection and I just dont want to see a grid directly connected to the pumps EGC from the panel…while they do have what we call an " Informal " bonding…it is usualy not quite so direct.

http://www.mikeholt.com/onlinetraining/page_images/1014160805_2.gif

This section was revised to read:

(B) Bonding Together
(1) Metallic Parts of Pool Structure. All metallic parts of the water structure, including the reinforcing metal of the pool shell, coping stones, and deck, must be bonded to a common bonding grid [680.26©]. Steel tie-wires made-up tight is suitable for bonding reinforcing steel together. Where the reinforcing steel is encapsulated with a nonconductive compound, provisions must be made for an alternate means to eliminate voltage gradients, which would otherwise be provided by unencapsulated, bonded reinforcing steel. Figure 680-6

Intent: The revised text requires all reinforcing steel of the water structure to be bonded to a common bonding grid and any reinforcing steel that is encapsulated with a nonconductive compound must be provided with an alternate means to eliminate voltage gradients.

Author’s Comment: A task group has been assembled to investigate this issue and to provide data to the industry on how this could be accomplished since there is no acceptable method of bonding nonconductive-coated steel. Currently only steel without a nonconductive coating can be used for swimming pools, outdoor spas and hot tubs because there is no way to use steelstructural steel with nonconductive, anti-corrosion coatings to eliminate voltage gradients.

**680.26 Equipotential Bonding.
(A) Performance.

**The equipotential bonding required by
this section shall be installed to eliminate voltage gradients
in the pool area as prescribed.

The FPN greg was refering to :

[size=2]FPN: The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor
shall not be required to be extended or attached to any
remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode.

However as greg stated…it can be done…just WAY to extensive for HI’s to get into…

[/size]As greg stated…actually in the first underwater light the connection takes place…lol…

The other thing that came out of 2005 is the need for a copper grid under pavers on a pool deck. At today’s copper prices I doubt if we will ever see pavers again.
This is one that a guy over on ECN installed

lol…yeah I did not want to go their Greg…lol…since 2002 does not have it…and well…I will MILK that until 2005 is adopted…thehehe…at the rate VA is going…it will be 2009 before it happens…lol

Thanks for the great input. :smiley: