Bowed foundation opinions

Hello folks, I am hoping for some second opinions here. I apologize in advance for the poor photos. All the basement lights are nonfunctioning, windows are boarded, and everything is painted the same color. There are exterior vertical cracks at both front corners. The front foundation wall is bowed inward approximately 6 inches. The entire length of the front wall is bowed evenly toward the center (40 feet wall). There is a horizontal crack in the center of the wall 2 feet above the floor. There are step cracks that have approximately 1 inch of lateral movement that have been repaired. There is obvious efflorescence that has been painted and visible water intrusion. I have already sent the report and recommended a foundation contractor or engineer evaluate.

The seller is now claiming a tree caused the bow and cracks and that tree has been removed. The buyer wants my opinion on it. My thoughts are hydrostatic pressure or soil pressure caused the damage, not a tree, even though the home is only 1-2 feet lower than the top of the hill it is on.

The home is 55 feet from a one lane gravel county road. There used to be a driveway running at an angle past the house down to a large barn in the lower right hand corner of the property. The soil is clay. There hasn’t been a tree in the front yard back to 2010 on the google earth images. Prior to that the images are too blurry.

I would defer the cause to a SE and not walk down that path of liability. Although you may correct in your assessment, I personally would not go there.

4 Likes

I am not going down that path, I have already recommended a foundation contractor or engineer. The kid is asking me if I think it could have been a tree. I am inclined to say no, not a tree. I am just wondering if anyone else thinks a tree could do that, or it’s more likely caused by pressure as I stated in my post.

4 Likes

In that case, I have seen some trees cause some serious foundation issues depending on the tree and their root structure, especially on CMU foundations. So, IMO, it could be possible.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what the cause was that wall looks shot…not even flex seal is gonna fix that…

5 Likes

Thanks Scott

1 Like

IMO, no, not by itself. Tree roots will enter a crack and grow /expand, causing the crack to open further, but a tree root will not create the crack to begin with. A root system will grow towards the wall, but turn away/grow along it when it encounters the blocked pathway or grow into it if possible. As it’s girth expands, the ground soil moves, not the solid wall.
Ben wrote about this many, many years ago, somewhere on the old MB. Sorry, but I won’t bother searching for it. Feel free to try to find it. It was interesting.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeffrey

1 Like

Who you gonna believe? Obviously, there are always exceptions. Note reference to a JLC article. Perhaps that is what I remember and mistakenly credited Ben.

Thanks for the image Scott

Don’t OVERTHINK this. tell the kid YOU don’t know BUT the foundation contractor or engineer he retains can help him on that. See my ONLY comments to my buyer below

The foundation has undergone movements, cracking and there were signs of moisture leakage present. We recommend evaluation by a competent licensed foundation contractor OR a licensed structural engineer to determine what repairs or modification may be needed.

Structure.
Observation: A: Wide exterior vertical cracks at both front corners. B: The front foundation wall is adversely bowed. C: Water stains at CMU bed, head and butt joints. D: Water stained basement floor.
Recommend: A licensed foundation installation contractor further assess and repair the leaking bowed foundation wall and any further adverse findings.
Follow any referrals offered at the time.

Sounds like your reporting was spot on. I am following @jjonas on this one.
Here is an article from Purdue University

Excerpt:
Answer : Tree roots can damage a house foundation, with an invitation to do so. Tree roots are very opportunistic and will only grow and penetrate where it is easiest to grow such as friable soils and mulch. Typically, when roots encounter solid, impervious surfaces such as pipes, sidewalks, curbs and foundations, they are redirected laterally or up and over. However, if there is a breach or a crack nearby, they can and will exploit those voids in search of moisture. Such as sewer pipes aren’t damaged by the roots, they are just very capable of finding those leaks and moving into the moist and often nutrient-rich pipe.

1 Like

I came across this 100+ year old poplar tree with massive roots penetrating underneath the foundation.

5 Likes

That is a cool find. But, not for the property owners. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

And as I said, “it is possible”… :wink:

2 Likes

Holding the house up? :grinning:

3 Likes

Inspection this past week had an engineer report on horizontal and step cracking in the basement foundation. His claim was that the horizontal cracking was caused by “thermal expansion of the structure” pushing the top of the foundation wall outward. The cracks were at the soil line was the reason for his conclusion. Recommended seal the cracks, apply Drilock. No seal on the report. The buyer wanted to know if the foundation was sound. I wanted info on the expansion. Arranged to meet the civil engineer at the house so we could all understand. I carried a 4’ level in with me. The walls were pushed in at least an 11/4 inches on each side. When I questioned why there was no cracking in the floor or wall upstairs, he really couldn’t answer. I plumbed from the crack to the floor and it was an inch pushed inward. He said “we didn’t have a level with us”. If indeed it was the top of the wall pushing out, it shouldn’t cause the lower section of the wall. He couldn’t explain it. He “ran” it by the main engineer at the office and he stated he had seen it before. I all but called BS, but he has the degree so I held it. I did ask him how much wood needs to expand to push the walls over 2 inches away from each other. Again, he had no idea.
I did some research on it and couldn’t find anything regarding thermal expansion of the structure.
I’m not an engineer, but just normal common sense or critical thinking tells me it is not right. In the end, they agreed to produce a sealed document that the foundation is sound.

2 Likes

There you go with a licensed B. S. artist taking your money. Next time you would be better off to recommend a licensed General contractor with in house engineers.

3 Likes