Brick Facing

Originally Posted By: bkelly1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a home yesterday where the brick, mainly near the bottom of house, has deteriorated. Many of the faces of the brick were flaking off, some the entire face of the brick, about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. There were other areas where it was only half the brick, and some weren’t smoothly broken, etc. It was very interesting. What are your thoughts? I thought possible brick manufacturing problem, high moisture content around bottom of house, etc… The house was on a slab, built in 1970, had gutters, that were not extended away from house…No weep holes in brick, very common here.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: pdacey

bkelly1 wrote:
No weep holes in brick

I'd say it's possibly a moisture issue since there are no weep holes to ventilate the wall cavity. I would doubt that it's a manufacturer's defect because it's only happening to the bottom course of brick.

When I have a house that does not have weep holes, I will gently pull up a corner of the carpet on the inside of the house to check the base of the wall and the tack strip. If there is a moisture problem, the tack strip will usually be damp and/or rotted out. If the home owner is around I will not do this as it is considered invasive.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lewens

I concur

We see the same thing up here for the same reasons. Brick gets wet, weather gets cold, water freezes, pos off surface of brick,etc.etc.etc.

Larry