Brick Ledge or not?

Originally Posted By: jlybolt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a new home today and a portion of the brick veneer wall was not completely supported by the brick ledge. I could reach under the brick 2". The length of the wall was about 8’ or so. Apparently the slab was not pored correctly. Brick being only about 3 to 4" wide it would seem this could be a problem. From my understanding the full width of the brick should be supported. Any thoughts/comments on this would be appreciated. How would this be fixed? icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

2’’ seems a little to much reveil for a brick wich is only about 5" give or take. since the slab was poured before the brick work was done, i’d say the problem is with the lack of attention when the vanier was done. how old is the houes? exactly how wide and thick are the bricks. to many variable to tell without a pic. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Michael D Thomas

Is it possible the brick in sitting on a steel angle secured to the foundation? That’s a common (and correct, if done correctly) solution when the bricks must project this far beyond the foundation wall … it?s even possible to add a masonry veneer face to an existing wall this way.

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/3/3408 ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/3/3408 ]

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Brick Overhang ]

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

http://www.maconline.org/tech/materials/BRICK/Top_10_-Veneers/top_10-_veneers.html

This site says 1/3 overhang and 2/3 resting on the foundation

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Brian and Michael that was pretty good stuff.

Originally Posted By: away

Magical floating brick ]

[ Image: How strong is mortar? ]

Andrew Way

Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC

www.keystoneinspections.com

James,

it does look a little eccesive, but if this wall is the only one, it can easily be repaired by hiring a mason to put a small form down under the brick and pour some concrete just to hold up the brick. the house is still o.k. held up by the foundation. with the right mason using the right bond and mix it’ll be fine. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Andrew…that’s a Great Brick Industry Association article. Thanks for sharing that!

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Jay; sorry to butt in, but I have to put my two cents.

James;

If I understand your question properly, I would have to say that when the brick veneer was installed, it was temporarily supported in order to get it to stay on a two inch ledge.
Since the brick is 3 3/4" wide to 4" wide, I would have installed a galvanized angle support for the installation.
Since the brick is still bearing on the foundation or slab for at least 2", most of the weight is being distributed on the foundation or slab but most likely putting some tension on the wall ties that were used to Tie it to the wall assembly.
The weight is being borne by he two inch bearing, but lateral tension is most likely occurring on the wall brick ties.

Your best bet would be to recommend an SE for further evaluation of the concern, or recommend a mason contractor to evaluate.

Marcel

I agree marcel, an S.E. would be best, I was just trying to let him know that the house isn’t going to fall down as he sends the report.and would most likely be a symple “fix” or more of an “mend”. no intrusion, i had already hit the submit button ending my turn. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Steven Brewster

Saw this today and it goes along with this thread. The brick veneer was installed on this older home over the wood lap siding.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1030754.JPG ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1030756.JPG ]

icon_eek.gif watch as i shock and amaze you with bricks that float in mid-air, right before your very eyes… oooooooo

Originally Posted By: mcyr

How can people work so hard to screw things up? icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif

Marcel