Brick Ledge

Bottom of course of brick is resting on steel.

I can not determine how the steel is attached to the foundation.

Any opinions?

I can not get enough information from your picture but the usual way is for the angle to be lagged to the original foundation .
I person must be carefull as some do not put in proper Ty backs to keep the two walls fastend together .
I did one and four feet up the Brick veneer was out about 3 inches you could push it back with your hand.
Just a matter of time till it was a heap on the ground .
Roy Cooke

We have several home like this in our area with this type of repair. Trinity Homes now Beazer, did not pour the foundation with the correct size brick ledge, which caused the brick to contact the wall sheathing. This condition caused all kinds of wood rot and mold to the walls of the homes. The angle iron was there engineering fix to extend the brick away from the wall. On these homes the angle was bolted to the foundation. I have not heard of any defects from these repairs. I would be concerned if there was not any documentation of the work, due to the fact this is not a standard building practice, atleast one that I know of. I would also have to take into account the apparent age of the work and the settlement, if any, to decide how concerned I would be. I hope this helps.

Just a matter of time before that fails. I would pour a wall in front to support the bricks correctly.

I think everything fails after a certain matter of time.:slight_smile:

True…some things fail before they should because it was built wrong in the first place.

Steve,

The home is 3 years old. Brick is not showing signs of settlement, movement or cracking.

The steel appears to be flat stock. I could not determine the method of attachment. (foundation or framing).

http://www.bia.org/BIA/technotes/Image588.gif

Try this

http://www.bia.org/html/frmset_thnt.htm

How much brick is resting on the steel? (vertical feet)
If it is a one story house I would not be concerned if no visible signs of sagging or seperation exist.

Sorry go to the above link and look this tech note up

Technical Notes 28A - Brick Veneer, Existing Construction
[Sept./Oct. 1978] (Reissued Sept. 198

2 Story Colonial

Steve,

Thanks for the link.

Joseph, I would say from your pictures, the technical notes from the brick industry site and the seller not having any documentation of the installation. You could not say with any certainty if it is good or bad.

Joseph, you are very welcome for the link.
I would hope with a three year old house somebody knows something.

I have a Home that was designed by an Engineer using Angle iron 3/8" thick 5" each way angle 24" on center using Stainless bolts in cement footings anchored in with epoxy coating on iron. 9’ High and the wall 64’ long. Back wall 39’ x 9’ tall. Your thoughts on this

I had a home done by Enigeering company using 5" angle iron coated epoxy awith stainless steel bolts for brick ledge. We had the home sold and Inspector told the buyer do not buy the home because this is going to give in and wrought out over time and you will have yard full of bricks unless it is done with cement footing. Cement crumbles over time also. What are you thoughts on way the designed is.