Brick Ledge required?

The builder did not pour the foundation properly such that the entry arch to the courtyard was not built. To correct it treated 2x6’s were used instead of additional concrete. Is this ok?

Also this wall was to be bricked and no brick ledge was built. Is it ok to not have a brick ledge for a entry porch. This also led to the courtyard which did not have a brick ledge.

IMO any brick veneer should be supported by the house foundation, either by attaching an angle iron to the foundation or laying masonry block on the footing up to ground level. Supporting the veneer on a separate floating footing is a recipe for settlement cracking in the veneer.

Randy I was waiting for you to answer him because you know if I said this it would mean nothing. Thanks!
I also see them do this with Commercial buildings and it is very common here.

RWW

good catch!

what we don’t know about the bust
was a proper beam built into the slab at these locations

what we do know is (around here)

1. the builder oks and ahj oks the home purchaser buys as is
  2. the anchorage is usually inadequate as are braced wall panel integration
  3. they’ll brick the walls first then lay the pavers/stone floor, counter sinking the base of the framed walls
  4. even if they leave weeps in the wall sections any wood will be submerged/wet from now on after the first blowing rain or entry/porch cleaning with water or watering potted plants…we all know treated wood last forever and will not wick moisture up into the non-treated wall studs? NOT a good scenario
  5. any of the other wood wall portions that are not raised at least the thickness of 2x form material will be problematic for moisture intrusion under the sill plate

whenever encountered red flag and put back on the foundation engineer of record for a proper prescriptive retrofit for all trades associated with the completion of these areas!

RWW

good catch!

what we don’t know about the bust
was a proper bearing beam/footing built into the slab at these locations

what we do know is (around here)

1. the builder oks and ahj oks the home purchaser buys as is
  2. the anchorage is usually inadequate as are braced wall panel integration
  3. they’ll brick the walls first then lay the pavers/stone floor, counter sinking the base of the framed walls
  4. even if they leave weeps in the wall sections any wood will be submerged/wet from now on after the first blowing rain or entry/porch cleaning with water or watering potted plants…we all know treated wood last forever and will not wick moisture up into the non-treated wall studs? NOT a good scenario
  5. any of the other wood wall portions that are not raised at least the thickness of 2x form material will be problematic for moisture intrusion under the sill plate

whenever encountered red flag and put back on the foundation engineer of record for a proper prescriptive retrofit for all trades associated with the completion of these areas!

Sad part is that I found another home a few doors down also under construction with the same set up and with the bricks installed down to the foundation with no brick ledge. I told the buyer that having no foundation exposure in the courtyard because the bricks will be resting on it is a recipe for water intrusion. They better keep that courtyard drain open…