Brisket recipes

Originally Posted By: mthomas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I know this topic is way off, however, I am BBQ’ ing this weekend for some folks. I love BBQ brisket, being from Texas and all, however whenever I make brisket it comes out tough. icon_evil.gif I have all 3 of the important tools, Weber, gas, and a smoker. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: nhagarty

Hi Mark,

It has been my experience of generations that cooking brisket in a roaster (with a lid or tinfoil to keep from drying out )in the oven is the moistest way to cook this type of meat. It is cooked at 350 degrees at 15 minutes per lb. Just enough sauce to flavor and reapply at your convience. You can tell when it just falls apart that it is ready.

Hope that this helps.

Nanci

--
Nanci Hagarty
E-Commerce Expansion Solutions
nrdhag@voicenet.com

Great rates on local and long distance MCI Neighborhood Complete, Call 1-800-400-0769 to apply and code#3805578 for best package.

Originally Posted By: jruppert

Here’s how I’d do it:

Start a small fire with about 15 briquettes on one side of the Weber. Make an aluminum foil drip pan on the opposite side of the grill. Put a full pot of water on the grill directly over the fire. Put the brisket over the drip pan and an oven thermometer near the brisket. Put the cover on the Weber. Close the vents down so that the temperature is about 190-200? F. Keep the water pot from drying out (this keeps the inside of the Weber and the meat moist). Baste the meet with your favorite sauce. Every hour put about five or six more briquettes on the fire. If you like a smoky flavor put some oak or hickory chunks in the fire. Continue cooking in this fashion for four or five hours and then....... enjoy! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I have barbecued pork butt in the same fashion - even longer, six to eight hours, using oak. It comes out great. I think it comes out better than brisket because the pork butt is more marbled, so it comes out more tender and juicy! When you buy the brisket look for a well marbled piece and keep in mind that a lot of the fat ends up in the drip pan.

How's that for a Yankee from new York !!!

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Best recommendation I can make for brisket is to use a water smoker. I will cook a brisket for no less than 10 hours 12 preferred, yes it is tender! I use seasonings and onions etc in the water pan, this seems to baste the meet with the steam during the cooking. I use any of a number of spices and dry rubs on the meat. I use hickory wood chunks and charcoal for fuel.

I will fix about a 7 lb brisket flat and usually fix a whole pork loin at the same time

I recommend the Char-Broil Deluxe Water Smoker Model 465430603. This is the one that the barrel sits down on top of the fire pan making it easy to add fuel. I have a larger smoker but it is more difficult to keep the temperature even.

I fixed one this past Sunday and I have been eating on it every evening. GOOD STUFF!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: mthomas

Many thanks for the tips. My stomach is growling. I am trying these ideas on a flank steak tonight. icon_biggrin.gif