Broken Purlin Bracing/Strong Back

Inspected a home this week that had some damaged framing in the attic. I’ve never seen anything quite like this before. Roof had been recently replaced due to tree damage but the sheathing over this area was original to the home (1959). Floor joists under this area of the home had been modified/repaired due to termite damage. Floors had high spots from being jacked and blocked underneath. Could the floor have been jacked high enough to put this much stress on the attic framing? I referred the item to contractor for further evaluation on the report, but client wants me to tell them what caused the damage. Any answer I produce would be nothing more than speculation at this point. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes, but whatever you do, do not give them “the reason”!

That’s beyond the scope of a home inspection, it can only get you in trouble.

Correct… I would explain to the client that diagnosing is beyond a typical HI, it’s not what you do. Nothing more you can do.

1 Like

I agree 100% Simon. I don’t ever get into diagnosing issues. This is just the first time I’ve had a client insist on it after I referred something out for evaluation. Most buyers in my area expect HI’s to be structural engineer, master electricians, etc.

This same client also wanted me to determine if the repairs that had been made to the floor joists were in one word “Code”. I get that question a lot around here. “Is it code”?:man_facepalming:

Need to educate the client better :slight_smile: diagnostic often requires invasive inspection, specialty tools, trade experience, diffferent insurance, different license, etc, etc… if client refuses to listen, nothing you can do. You can explain but not understand for the client.

it comes down to being able to explain to the client what a “home inspection” is and what it is not. (ex. I’m not authorized to perform a code inspection, I’m not a code inspector.) Yes, it’s part of the job.

1 Like

So true! I try to manage expectations as best I can but there is always room for improvement.

Tell them your speculation would just be a wild guess, since you were not there when it happened. And it really doesn’t matter how it happened, it just needs to be repaired.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly Christopher.