Burnt Attic

I entered an attic of a 2000 sq ft property in Plano Texas last week and was confronted with a burnt area covering around a third of the attic. A disconnected flue that exhausts into the attic just below the roof decking caused the burning. I was amazed just how much damage the discharge of fumes into the attic had caused but found out later that the current roof had been installed 14 years ago and the flue may have been disconnected then. It is known that high temperatures have a dramatic effect on lumber’s load carrying capacity and increases the probability of brittle failure at the weakest link in the piece of lumber associated with a defect - notably, a “large” knot1. There was a failure present and visible in the attic as the following picture shows. This raised my concern in three areas. First there is a distinct possibility that the attic could catch fire, second that the structural integrity of the attic has been so compromised that it could collapse and last, but not least, the probability of carbon monoxide entering the living area. Follow the link below to get the whole story

Not working could it be because we are in Canada???

**[https://www.google.com/images/logos/google_logo_41.png

Drive](https://docs.google.com/)**

We’re sorry. You can’t access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.
Find out more about this topic at the Google Drive Help Center.

I get the same, Roy. :wink:

**[https://www.google.com/images/logos/google_logo_41.png

Drive](https://docs.google.com/)**

We’re sorry. You can’t access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.
Find out more about this topic at the Google Drive Help Center.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/148505?hl=en

I am not sure why, its google drive so you should be able to download it

If you email me at yellowhatenergy@gmail.com I’ll send it to you

both of us have our email listed on our posts for all to see . Thanks … Roy

whis11@charter.netRoycooke@hotmail.com

Thank you. I wonder how rlewis5](http://www.nachi.org/forum/users/rlewis5/) decided whether it was useful or not? Could you see it Roy? :slight_smile:

Yes he sent me email

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvFfKK7TGcicTFudXdDcjRUbW8/view?usp=sharing

It came through great Thanks Mark .
I agree with you and this to me is an accident waiting to happen .
Your noticing this I expect could have saved many lives .
I am surprised the wood has did not catch on fire .
A Bath fan and Kitchen fan on at the same time could have dragged the exhaust fumes down into the home and gassed the family living there .
Thanks for the pictures much appreciated … Roy

Good info. Thanks for the email, Mark.