Calling GFCI experts

Originally Posted By: Tony Moscioni
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Joey,

Let's take a moment and review CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 144-M91
(Reaffirmed 2003)
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters.

4.3 Supply and Load Connections
4.3.1 Receptacles for Load Connections

4.3.3 Portable Interrupters

The power supply cord shall comply with the following:

(a) except for an interrupter of the direct-plug-in type, a suitable length of flexible cord terminating in an attachment plug shall be provided for connection to the supply circuit;

(b) the flexible cord shall be a type which is approved as suitable for hard usage and for the locations in which the interrupter is intended to be used;

(c) the ampacity of the power supply cord shall be not less than the current rating marked on the interrupter;

(d) the current rating of the attachment plug shall be not less than the current rating marked on the interrupter;

(e) a power supply cord shall be permanently attached or a separate cord set terminating in a suitable detachable means of connection shall be provided;

(f) the cord shall be separately insulated from exposed metal parts at the point where it enters the equipment;

Note: The jacket on a cord is not considered as supplementary insulation.

(g) strain relief shall be provided for a permanently attached cord by a suitable cord grip which shall prevent twisting and movement of the cord. The strain relief shall comply with the test requirements of Clause 6.10;

(h) a metal strain relief clamp shall not be accessible, and shall not make contact with an accessible non-current-carrying metal part unless the clamp is suitably insulated from the cord;

(i) the attachment plug shall be a molded-on type or shall have the cord conductor connections sealed by a suitable material to prevent displacement of the cord conductors within the attachment plug;

(j) if the interrupter is designed to provide for grounding of non-current-carrying parts of loads to be supplied from it, the power supply cord shall have a grounding conductor which is coloured green, or green / yellow and is connected to the grounding contacts of all receptacles of the interrupter.

How many defects can you see now with your proposal?

Regards,

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority
Toronto, Ontario

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Tony:

I am happy to see that you came aboard to settle this issue.

Thanks Tony!

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

Well hey I didn’t put a GFCI in there. It’s just as you see it in the picture. Sounds to me like all that means is I wouldn’t be able to get it listed for sale on a store shelf. I still feel it falls under temporary wiring.

Too bad Joe doesn't follow the copyright laws as well as he follows the NEC, because he posted unauthorized copies of my picture in an article and I had them removed only because he didn't bother to ask me first. I wasn't going to say anything about it and just let this thread die, but now I will.

Originally Posted By: John Steinke

Gee, I’m sorry, I didn’t realise that approval was sought!

FWIW, I believe that the best "answer" would be to obtain the appropriate UL standard, and compare this assembly to what testing it would have applied to it. Don't get me wrong- I love home-made things!

As mentioned before, this assembly has a few things wrong with it; replacing the receptacle is the least critical issue.
"UL listing" of the individual components is irrelevant; I have seen many products made entirely of UL listed parts that couldn't pass UL's criteria for the particular assembly. Quality components are wasted in a faulty design.

As has also been explained, a GFI receptacle would have only a marginal effect on the safety of this assembly; I agree that a GFI in the plug is the way to go.

I also believe that "temporary" rules are not applicable when you are atempting to address a deficiency in the building's design; It doesn't matter if you put it away after each use.

If you're using such contraptions to adapt to sub-standard housing conditions, I submit that your problems go far deeper than a few pennies of hardware. As to why someone would spend twice as much making a commercially available item, I really don't understand.

What can go wrong? Again, look at Joe's web site for photos of such devices that have come apart in use. Your contraption -and, even if you only "fixed" it, it's yours- is a great example of breaking every rule in the book.
In summary:
That cover plate can too easily come loose, then work it's way under the plugs;
There is no strain relief- period;
The cord is too light;
The plug needs to be a "dead front" style;
Handy boxes aren't all that great at keeping water out; and,
"Temporary" is not applied as a substitute for properly executed permanent work.