CBS....OOOPS wood framed

There is a local inspection company here that filled out a checklist report and the house was inspected and the buyer bought it and was happy to be installing his new wood floors…well…the installer had a moisture meter and was showing the NEW owner the elevated moisture readings in the flooring. Upon removal of some sheetrock it was noted that there was signficant water intrusion behind the stucco.

Now my question is, what should happen? If you don’t know, wood framed houses in SW Florida are difficult to sell. They are much more likely to get this water intrusion and for termites to happen. But he relied on the inspector to inform him. It is VERY easy to tell the difference and he must have brain farted. But the new owner stated he NEVER would have bought a wood framed house. I believe him, not many do. So once again what should happen in this situation? Everything says CBS, but I promise you its wood frame. The tax rolls say CBS, the listing says CBS and the home inspection says CBS…Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance for taking time out to reply…NACHI ROCKS!

What’s CBS?

So… high moisture readings in the floor led to drywall being removed from the walls?

CBS= one of two things…people will argue them. Its either Concrete Block and Stucco or Concrete block structure…either way its a house framed with concrete block

This might help as well


Got it, thanks. I’m more familiar with the term concrete masonry unit (CMU).
I would imagine that exterior walls are framed with 2x4 in SW Florida, in which case wall thickness should be different from CBS.

Yes, hence they sit flush, while CBS houses windows are recessed about 3-4inches…it very easy to see. Its home inspection 101 here.

I can’t tell you how many times I have inspected a home and the listing said CBS when it actually was wood frame. In most cases it is a real estate agent that fills out the listing sheet and they don’t know what the difference is. Don’t just rely on the windows as some parts of the exterior could be wood frame with flush windows (bay window). There are many other clues that it is wood frame besides just the windows. You can look at the truss connections in the attic and you can knock on the wall. I just did one last week that was listed as wood frame when it was actually styrofoam block with poured concrete.

If you can’t identify what material the exterior structure is made of then you have no business being an inspector. I feel sorry for the buyer as I wouldn’t buy a wood frame home either. I use some of my strongest language when inspecting a wood frame home, especially when it has stucco below grade or poured concrete that butts up to the stucco.

The next thing that should happen is the inspector and everyone else involved in the transaction being sued. Should be a very easy case to win.

I have seen the listing where it said CBS/Frame. I have told my clients to be sure before you sign the contract. Measuring the walls is one way to tell if it is wood frame, except that sometimes, the walls are “double-studded” or 2 x 8 studs were used, giving the appearance of a CBS home.

Another situation is when it says CBS, but is only five inches wide. That has happened in West Palm Beach and it was tilt-up construction.
The simplest way to tell the difference is to tap on the walls. A hollow sound usually indicates wood frame.

If you don’t know, say you don’t know on the report. A competent inspector should be able to tell the difference.

As for the situation above, if the buyer were so inclined to sue everyone, it should be a very easy case to win and most likely would be settled before getting to court.