Ceiling unlevel at wall

Can someone educate me on this please? The ceiling line starts high and goes low. Also repaired

cracking in adjacent area on wall?

What did the attic framing look like?

Probably poor workmanship or uneven surface it was nailed to. You could have opened the attic hatch and pulled back the insulation.

Transition from plaster to drywall possibly (depending on age of home)?

Older rafters in attic. Nothing visibly wrong.

Yup.

Yup.

Possible, how old is the house?

Something is definitely not right about that ceiling and the framing above it.

Somebody clearly tried using the stomp finish on the ceiling to hide the seams and or repairs. Same goes for the wall. A knock down texture can hide many imperfect areas, however high spots where cracks are taped and mudded stick out like a sore thumb when they are not feathered out far enough…

1 Like

From what I see I would include a comment stating poor workmanship and further evaluation and repairs as needed by a contractor. I’m thinking this is an older home that was recently renovated. If cracking has occurred that could be more concerning. Houses like this I spend more time examining framing in attic and crawlspace

1 Like

Poor prior paster and drywall seam repairs.
Rafters or trusses?
Could be, a: damage repaired from truss uplift or b: bowed walls from poor rafter support.

Just did one that looked like that.
It was a porch above previously, that got filled in to make rooms.
Thus, the sloped floor of the former porch showed as an uneven ceiling in the finished room below.

1 Like

Exterior inspection showed signs of wall leaning in this area as well. I wrote up what I saw and deferred to a professional. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Roof spread. Red flag.
Roof spread occurs when the downward pressure/load/force of the weight of the roof starts pushing against the rafters enough so that the structure itself begins to move/spread: either the roof starts moving downwards, or the walls start pushing outwards.
This is because, when they, the circa of roof was/were built, they commonly used a raised tie around halfway up the total height of the roof, rather than a traditional ceiling at the bottom of the rafters.

Observation: Exterior: Spreading walls. Interior: Uneven wall/ceiling assembly intersections. Poor Prior allocated plaster/drywall, wall and ceiling repairs in areas of concern.
Recommend: A licensed general contractor with in-house structural engineering:
1: evaluate spreading walls.
2: make required repairs.
Follow any referrals offered.

Looks like an addition of some kind. maybe a carport, porch or garage that was later enclosed.

1 Like