Cement -fiber siding

Originally Posted By: tgardner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The original installation instructions on Hardiboard siding say Hardiplank Lap Siding should not be in ground contact or exposed to standing water.

The new instructions say the ground clearance should be in accordance with local building codes.

Anyone know what the IRC says about this type of siding?

THX tg

Originally Posted By: Guest

I’d just follow mfg’s spec’s. Cement siding isn’t supposed to be in ground contact because it’ll wick moisture, not because it’s damaged by the water. Ground contact also encourages mold growth, but I’ve yet to see the siding actually compromised from moisture or mold.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

What Chad said…plus contact with the soil would offer sheltered access to wood destroying insects. For that reason alone I see no reason to vary from whatever clearances are required in your region for wood siding.

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

The IRC would require at least 6" clear to grade (or 6" of exposed foundation) per R404.16 for foundation walls. Also note that R323.1 would require 8" clear to untreated sills in decay areas. See this link too.

http://www.hardie.com/media/faq/default.php#12

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: tgardner

Thanks Robert,

That's the reference I was looking for.

TG ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)