Certified Master Inspector already being used in Yellow Page ads.

http://www.nachi.org/cmiad2006.htm

oh…lord…:smiley:

:smiley: Dale, I know what you mean. Sometimes when I have to make a certain post it feels like I’m lobbing a grenade. :roll: :wink:

…you crack me up…:smiley:

Kind of like the MAB…:smiley:

In a related story, Texas picked up its first CMI today.

How is Arizona doing?..](*,)

:smiley:

Nada: http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/find.htm Lots of hits though.

Did you notice that cmiad.com reads as “See My Ad” ?

Okay Nick…you can use “weird” on me now… :wink:

I don’t know the inspector with CMI from Texas, he is not in my geography and I wish him well. But I do know that he has been licensed less time than I have (18 months) and I certainly won’t go around calling myself a “master”. I do hope that brandishing that title doesn’t come back to bite him in a courtroom.

I find a title that can be had by any inspector in Texas (or any other state with 150 hours of required education) the day he becomes licensed without having ever conducted a paid inspection just silly. But then again, I guess it’s not silly to the recipient of $175.

Ron, funny you would mention him. His application included so many certifications of completion and proofs of continuing education as to actually be thicker than we could easily file.

Here are just some of them he has…

– 45 classroom hours of Residential Inspection Part A from Kaplan.
– 45 classroom hours of Residential Inspection Part B from Kaplan.
– 60 classroom hours of ADVANCED Real Estate Inspection from Kaplan.
– 38 classroom hours of Business Principles for the Home Inspector from Kaplan.
– 8 hours of Disaster Housing Inspection Training from PARR.
– 8 hours of Pool & Spa Inspection from ITA.
– 8 hours of Inspecting Concrete Slab Foundations from Cahill.
– FEMA cerficate.
– All the courses required for membership in NACHI and offered from NACHI.

– and more…

Ron, be careful who you berate. He sounds more educated than you.

Amen.

That could go around to alot of people on here.

Nick, what kind of education counts for CMI. I know someone who is interested who has years of construction and other related industries, plus real estate licensure. Which of these are qualified to be counted for CMI?

Thanks,
Wendy

I’m not berating him at all.

I have all that he posted and more and I am as concientious and thorough an inspector as you will find at my experience level. I have no reason to doubt that he is just as good. But I’m still not a Master by a long shot. If he had been licensed in Jan 05 or later his file would have been more than twice as long as the licensing requirements were increased then to 448 hours for a TREC license. A 448 hour license with no practical experience is still not a Master.

If I studied books and took classes in surgery but never picked up a scapel would you want me to operate on you or your loved one? That’s an extreme example agreed.

Book learning and a few mock inspections gets one to point where they are barely competent to hopefully not screw up until they get some real world experience under their belt. That hardly qualifies one as a “Master”.

I think it all counts right now.

Ron, I don’t know about what qualifies one as a Master, I only know what qualifies one as a Certifed Master Inspector… and the fella you are berating qualifies. He is a Certified Master Inspector.

Ok all

Just for fun – lets put together a tough of war between the “just out of school kids” and some of the many inspection inspectors

Lets put together a board to evaluate them or a real house of whore–

and lets see who can cut the mustard

We know who the experts are because the are always putting down the new members so I think they should be the first team.

ok lets pull

rlb

Good post Richard.

Furthermore these guys violate http://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm #3.3.

Excellent post Richard, and thank you for being someone with the guts to stick up for the new guys. I really appreciate it.

Thank you Nick as well for pointing that out. If I were the vengeful type, which I’m not, I could get together a list of names for expulsion of members that have made my life a living hell since joining.

It is obvious to most members that 3.3 is a piece of garbage that should be removed from the CoE; its sole purpose is to allow the ESOP committee to operate their own special NACHI sanctioned inquisition against any member for any reason they so choose. 3.3 is an embarrassment to the profession, worthy of an apology.

I am in total agreement with Ron. There is a huge gap between book knowledge and experience. Since there is no experience requirement this title is meaningless and just drags the whole concept of a certified inspector further into the gutter.

Nick, would you want a surgeon with no experience but a lot of classroom study time operating on you? Would you want a airline pilot, with no experience, as the captain of the plane on your next trip? How about the operator of a nuclear reactor? I could go on but you get the point. There is no substitute for experience.

I like many members of the HI professional I considered my learning to start with my first real inspection and frankly I had a lot of learning to do. I probably have close to 1,000 inspection and don’t consider myself a master inspector. If I was a consumer and I hired a master inspector, I would have much higher expectations and so would a judge. This seems to be the consensus of the NACHI membership.

//Rick

I resonate well with your post and to continue the thought, most likely were you to one day consider yourself a Master Inspector, you would in all probability be carrying two or three times the minimum required CEU’s, and no doubt be one of the most expensive inspectors in your market.

In almost all cases in other professions Master titles cannot be purchased for $175, they are issued through invitation by their peers and acknowledged by a majority of the rank & file within the profession. I have had the pleasure to be associated with many whom I would call a Master Home Inspector, unfortunately only two appear on the CMI website and both of them are now currently more involved with education then perfecting their craft any further.

It is my belief the Master Home Inspector title should be reserved for the select few who after perfecting and honing their skill to where it becomes widely recognized by the greater profession perseveres on and continues to devote the majority of their time to the actual art & science of home inspection, anything short of that reduces its value for everyone.