Checking laundry hook ups

When inspecting laundry hook-ups, the angle stop type valves that are located in the plumbing box, how do most of you check these. Since there is no sink below them, you can’t just turn them on, so how do you check them? And if the house is occupied and the washer is hooked up, how does one check these out. I’ve just been reporting on their visual condition up to this point but I’m looking to improve my inspections.

Visual inspection of the valves is all I do for the laundry room…however if it is in the garage in an older home the supply pipes sometimes are not secure which you may want to note in the report.

Should not be turning them.
Not sure how that improves inspections.

Pretty close to impossible with many double stacks in closets unless you are ready to bring out a hand cart.

Check the operation,drain pan,dryer vents gas valves ,standpipe,and all hookup visually then you are good to go.
To improve service get recall chek and see if listed .

Wrong… Pressure and volume are different .
A very small amount through the pipe will give the same pressure reading as a large flow.
A faulty tap or a pipe coated inside with hard water build up will not show up on a pressure reading .

Be careful turning off a tap that has not been used in a long time ,
They can be prone to leak

Visual inspection only. If I can’t see the connections, including the dryer connection, I say so in my reports. I always photograph the laundry room for posterity.

By the way, if I can’t see all the dryer vent, I say so in my reports.

Here we go again??? My SOP does not require checking the utility room connections??? but I do anyway my concern is not the valves so much as the drain line in older homes a 1-1/2 inch drain line was used but with modern washing machine pumps and the volume they discharge will make some of the lines back up newer machines need 2 inch drains.

I carry a washing machine rubber hose connection with one end cut off to fit in the drain line with ease and I use this connection to check the flow on the main drain. If the washing machine is still connected I fill it about 1/2 full and put it on spin to ensure it drains properly. Remember its the little things you do that keeps your phone ringing

Joe, I could see this one just fine this week, was only about 2’ long. :mrgreen::wink:

DSCN1858.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

I do the same.

I hook up a hose and turn the water on - Both hot and cold water valves on foreclosed homes (vacant/unfurnished) as water has backed up and out drain pipes
from a few. Serveral new homes (aquapex plumbing manifolds no water flow from valves). Several slab foundation interior leaks. Takes about 5 min to perform check. I also check the floor drains on upper story deck floors. Is this inspection task following the SOP? NO, but it prevents call backs and anything else that might follow.