circuit problem

Originally Posted By: ddivito
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have two 20 amp breakers feeding one outlet and light circuit. The voltage is 120. How is this done? I would like to separate them.

When one breaker is turned off the circuit is still energized by the other. I have to turn off both breakers to de-energize the circuit.

Originally Posted By: cbuell

It seems to me that both breakers would have to be on the same bar and they are tied together in a j-box/outlet box somewhere.

It is easier to change direction than it is to forget where one has been.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Dennis

Measure from the red to black. You will get 220.

This is a "split-fed' or 'multi-fed" depending on what you call it.

It (they) may be (the breakers) 'tripped' with out the other being tripped. I do not like this but it is code compliant.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: dbozek

Mike,

If the breakers were tied to 2 different phases, when energized they would trip. What you would have is a direct phase to phase short.

It sounds like to me that the wiring in that specific circuit has been tied together at some point and fortunately for the ones who wired it, they did get the same phase. It should be written up for a sparky to troubleshoot it. If one does not want to troubleshoot it, then simply remove one of the breakers and cap the wire. However, again, it should be referred to a sparky and let him find where the wires are tied together and make the circuit right. Overall it is backfeeding from some place and should be repaired.

--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln