Co-Joined Breakers

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I found the photo below on another forum. I asked the original inspector for permission (granted) to post it on other forums as I thought it had ?educational? qualities.

![](upload://ut392DicTOZVHtTADgOBvCzGh0v.jpeg)

The original inspector asked ?Why was this done?? I?ll add the question ?What is the end result?? I have my own opinions but I?ll let others discuss it first.

BTW?I asked, but it is not known what is on this circuit or the individual breaker size (I think we can assume they are either 15 or 20 amps)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Since they are on the same leg, I “assume” it keeps the top breaker from tripping on start up. Or if the top breaker trips the 2nd breaker keeps power to the circuit. icon_sad.gif

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Right off the bat you have a violation of 240.8 Fuses or Circuit Breakers in Parallel.

And as these are probably 15 or 20 amp breakers with 12 or 14 AWG we also have a violation of 240.4 (the conductors are over fused)

Fuses or Circuit Breakers in parallel add up the the current available.

As the resistance through both breakers will be very close to the same amount, the current will divide almost equally between each breaker.

If the breakers are 20 amps each you will now be able to draw 40 amps on that conductor.

If it was a 15 and 20 amp mixed in parallel you could only draw 30 amps (not 35) as the current divides equally and once you exceeded 30 amps the 15 would trip followed closely by the 20.

I do see factory made heating equipment with fuses in parallel and that is fine the manufactures are not under the NEC as far as the products they produce.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Bob,

What you are saying makes sense, but couldn't they just pull out the two 15/20 amp breakers and replace them with a single 30 amp breaker?![](upload://aknpuDfhccrZKRyjQTQQ4l0sais.gif)

Or would that be too easy?

Oops, Now I just realized that the feeder wire must be upgraded to a #10.

Not Good!

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jremas

See if you can find the same electrician and I would like to video him hooking up to different phases this time.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Quote:
Fuses or Circuit Breakers in parallel add up the the current available.

Bob...I was about 99% certain that was the case. It's good to have someone with your background confirm it. I'm not real good at judging wire size from photos but it does look like 12AWG and therefore probably 20 amp breakers. I think I'm ridiculously safe in saying that it's not the 8AWG that would now be required. The fact that both breakers would have to be tripped to disconnect power to the black wire just had to be a "no-no".

I agree with Mike P. that this was probably done to prevent nuisance tripping but I can't confirm if it was an AC circuit or not. The HI did not know. I guess the other option was that they actually wanted a 30 or 40 amp circuit and were too cheap to buy the breaker (and upgrade the wire).

Jeff...LOL...Yep, I find it interesting that someone knew enough about panels, breakers and bus-bars to do this in the first place and yet was still dumb enough to actually do it. What's the vote...homeowner or electrician?

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

It appears that this is part of a 220 volt circuit.

Look at the red and black wires on the side of the panel.

Could be an AC or a well pump.

Still this is wrong.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

rmoore wrote:
I find it interesting that someone knew enough about panels, breakers and bus-bars to do this in the first place and yet was still dumb enough to actually do it.

I was thinking the very same thing

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jpeck

If part of a 240 volt circuit (I see what you are referring to), the two breakers making up the 240 volt circuit should have been tied together.

However, if you look at all the red conductors, it makes me think this is not part of a 240 volt circuit.

Once screwy things have been done, the rest makes no sense as they screwed that up too.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I got some more info from the original HI. There was an A/C unit, but that was being fed via a disconnect double-tapped off the main lugs. Still don’t know what this circuit fed. Oh well…A sparky has been recommended for this and other problems.

Fun one though...anyone else ever seen this?

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Quote:
I find it interesting that someone knew enough about panels, breakers and bus-bars to do this in the first place and yet was still dumb enough to actually do it.

We all seem to agree on this point. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum