Clay tile eave closure

When inspecting a clay tile roof, the tiles eave closures are covered with black algae-like and the holes in it are almost blocked with that stuff.
1- is this normal?
2- what are the holes in the closure for? venting or weep holes?
3- if weep holes, does this mean there is water under tiles and affecting sheathing? (i cannot inspect from attic as it is obstructed)
3- how should it be reported or ignore it?

You should think about what you just wrote on a public forum.

Did you collect samples for suspect mold, and have them sent to a lab to perform mold tests? How do you know it’s mold? Did you lick it? What is your source for being able to make that determination?

Eave closures? Are you talking about the bird stops? That’s what we call them around here.

Ahhh the lick test;)

No pictures of said closure?

I was in Barcelona Spain where I observed some of Gaudi’s architecture… I’m thinking its a decorative element of the structure where “melting ice cream” was the intended effect.
Could be someone (roofer) poured something over the first course but generally I find those types of things in plastic bottles in the surrounding areas after they crew has bugged out…? Go figure

Yes Jeremy, the bird stops. sorry i did not express right.

no need to be sorry or change eave closure terminology
nrca 2013 manual & most tile mfrs have the term eave closure in their installation guides
Eave Closures: Eave closures are used with some tile types and profiles and help close off the open space at roof perimeter edge between tile and underlying construction and raise the first tile course to a slope angle matching that of upslope tile courses. Clay, cement, mortar, pressure-sensitive adhesive membrane, foam and specialty metal closures are often used with tile. Closures help keep birds from nesting in the open ends of the first tile course. Eave closures should be designed and installed to allow unobstructed drainage of water that may collect on the underlayment. Accessory closures may have weep holes to allow water drainage and eliminate damming at eaves. See Figure 3-9.

as far as black stuff maybe dead algae, dirt, mildew…who knows and mold is everywhere
the term “black mold” is a sure buzz kill for most concerned

eave closure.jpg

You are correct. My terminology is just what they are called on the job site and is not the technical term. Good catch!

Thank you Barry. post edited.
You mentioned “Accessory closures may have weep holes to allow water drainage and eliminate damming at eaves”, and this is my main reason for the post. From a roofing perspective, will this water be running on the sheathing (the area under the hump portion that is covered by the closure) and might pose water damage to it?

There is supposed to be a #30 asphalt felt or other acceptable membrane over the sheathing under the tile of the roof. The holes are there to weep moisture from underneith the tile roof substrate.

yes water will occur under roofing material via vapor or liquid transmission

imo, absence of wrb under any roofing surface is a latent defect deficiency & gets reported as such along with y closing remark
I, as an inspector am a generalist and do not claim to be an expert in any one area or field. I was hired to provide a written opinion on the specific items and their function during the time of this inspection only. “In the event a verified/qualified/licensed contractor or expert disagrees with my statements, in this report, I suggest they provide written documentation supporting their opposition and sign their name to it.”

most roofing surface materials are not 100% water proof
any underlying unprotected substrate material will be prone to moisture intrusion & will suffer subsequent damage

if you want some throne reading material w/i call “roofer bible”
click the bottom menu icon @
http://staticcontent.nrca.net/member/manual/2013/index.html#/1/zoomed

i’d just take a pic & say unspecified black substance & be done…i don’t know if it’s algae or what you saw

including your location by editing your profile & furnishing a wide angle & close up pix w/requesting members input will help them give more precise reply & your cause immensely ;~))

yes water will occur under roofing material via vapor or liquid transmission

imo, absence of wrb under any roofing surface is a latent defect deficiency & gets reported as such along with my closing remark
I, as an inspector am a generalist and do not claim to be an expert in any one area or field. I was hired to provide a written opinion on the specific items and their function during the time of this inspection only. “In the event a verified/qualified/licensed contractor or expert disagrees with my statements, in this report, I suggest they provide written documentation supporting their opposition and sign their name to it.”

most roofing surface materials are not 100% water proof
any underlying unprotected substrate material will be prone to moisture intrusion & will suffer subsequent damage

if you want some throne reading material w/i call “roofer bible”
click the bottom menu icon @
http://staticcontent.nrca.net/member/manual/2013/index.html#/1/zoomed

Thank you Barry and Jeremy for the input. That was useful.

Bird stop, eve closure… it gets called different things, and it really doesn’t matter what you call it as long as it’s clear in the report what component you’re talking about.
That condition is an indication that a significant amount of moisture has been getting under the tiles. It may be mold or it may be dirt. Check the flashing and tile installation to see if there’s an obvious avenue for moisture penetration. Tile can usually be lifted to see the roof deck underneath. If it’s possible, that’s what you should do if it appears that moisture may be penetrating the roof.