Client wants Pictures From Inspection

Did an inspection yesterday on an 1920 historical home. I guy emailed my today asking for a referral for a licensed contractor and copies of the pictures I had taken during the during the inspection (I put pictures in my reports) Would you give him copies?

Whats the rest of the story? Was there a big issue, or does he thing you missed something?

Personally I wouldn’t give them copies of any photos that were not included in the report.

All the photos I take ARE ALREADY in the report.

He’s already got the pictures in the report, any other pics you may have taken were not in the report because you deemed them unnecessary, therefore I wouldn’t supply any extra…

I agree they could find a picture and wonder why you did not report?? a small wall damage or who know what .

If you took a picture and it’s not included in the report, why did you take it?

If every picture you took is already in the report, then there’s no need to send “copies” of what’s already in the report.

If you still have copies of your pictures, why are you holding on to them?

I do not take pictures that are not included in my report, and I delete all pictures as soon as my reports are completed.

I would argue that the client has a right to see/have any pictures taken by their inspector while on site and under contract. Pictures that weren’t included in the report are not likely to be seen in the proper context.

If requested I tell client that relevant pics are in the report. Some pics may be out of focus and/or may contain personal effects which is why I don’t provide them.

Why do you have the right to these types of pictures and not your client? If you told me that, I’d be suspicious that you may have taken “inappropriate” pictures.

If I take a pic that’s out of focus, I delete it and take it again.

Any and all pictures will be subpoenaed if there is any legal action arising from the transaction - personal effects or not. If you inadvertently took an inappropriate picture, I’d suggest deleting it immediately.

so give them the pictures…

What’s your problem? Can’t you see the difference with looking at an inspection report picture and the actual photograph?

Now in this case, the picture maybe in the report but the pictures are typically so small that they may just want to blow them up for detailed information.

I have had several times where a client is just trying to match a color better and is now in BFE and my picture although present, is not clear enough.

If they asked me, I would send them each picture I took. But as Jeff stated, the only pictures I have are the pictures in the report. I don’t take (extra) pictures for I find no need for them. They can prove your guilt just as easy as your innocence.

But to each his own. Did you do a good inspection? Feel competent about your work? Then why not send the pics?

Russell this is not directed at you, but is a very good point frequently brought up.

Why would anyone be afraid for somebody to see their pictures?

I guess when you rip off a home inspection report “on-site” you don’t get to review what you collected.

In another thread we discussed the extent of home inspection reports and how detailed they are. When I finish my report at the office, the first thing I do is go through all the pictures, tune them so you can see what’s in them. Annotate what’s in the pictures and then upload them to my report program.

I will be the first to admit that I miss stuff all the time!
That’s why you’re all afraid to give up your pictures. But you wouldn’t be afraid if you took the time to go through them and catch those things that are in those pictures and report them. That’s why I take more pictures than necessary just for the report.

When the client asked me when they’re going to get their inspection report I tell them the following day. Most of the time their first response is “oh so soon!”. I also tell them that I sit down in the morning with a cuppa coffee and review the reports before I send them out. This is always met with approval! So anyone that thinks on-site reporting impresses your client, you may want to consult with your client and their expectations. I do on-site inspection reports when that’s what the client needs, but nobody wants me to hurry if they’re not in a hurry.

I don’t have a problem, but I was just stating there are no pictures they don’t already have in the report. I suppose there may be benefit to viewing the picture on its own but the report is digital you can just zoom in in most cases.

I get asked for the pictures all the time. There is no issue…

I have never had a client ask for a picture or a copy of a picture.

I have had clients ask for the pictures before, mostly so they have more pictures to show family when bragging about the home they are buying. I see no problem with providing them to the client, I adjust the size of them adobe photo editor to email easier then just attach them and hit send.
With every customer service job, and home inspections is very much customer service; Always give the client more than they want and they will remember you when they need another inspection or refer to their friends.

#1 Protection!

I can still remember that call from a past client who found mould in a basement bedroom asking what I was going to do about it. After reviewing the report and pics and a visit to the house it was evident that I could not see that area due to the stuff piled up to the ceiling at the time and even though it was noted in the report, client still called me. After sending client a date stamped copy of the before and after pics along with my note in the report client next question was what can client do about it.

Another time was a call for a foundation crack and water infiltration and again after sending client date stamped pics of that particular foundation corner, it was evident that no crack was visible at inspection. I never heard again from that client.

# 2 Another reason I take a lot of pics is that I don’t do onsite reports. I use the pics to complete the report in the office. My memory is good but sometimes short especially when doing multiple inspections same day so those pics are invaluable.

Most of those 100+ pics taken during most inspections would not be of interest for the client beside I don’t won’t client to have record of the home owner personal belongings.

I had a few occasion where the house was empty (no personal belongings) and clients asked provided them with the pics.

# 3 My E&O insurance broker (Hub International) just send me a ****[FONT=Verdana]*10 Best Practices for the Home Inspector *****which came directly from their Claims Team at Northbridge Insurance to reduce the potential for claims.[/FONT]
See #2 which reads [FONT=Verdana]Photographs during the inspection. A picture really does speak a thousand words. There can never be too many pictures.[/FONT]

This subject has been discussed on this board thousands of times. I take an average of 200 pictures per inspection, and the client gets them all, even when some are taken due to limited access and for my protection, lack of visual access, furniture, shelving, appliances, etc.

This is a no brainer. All pictures taken should be all disclosed to all involved in the RE transaction, even when only a few get on the reports. This should be directed to our InterNACHI attorney, Mark Cohen, to verify my point.

Exactly…

I may take a hundred and use 40. Those are in the report which the client already has. Sorry buyer, you got the report and pics have a nice day.