Agent wants copies of my original inspection pictures

An RE agent on a recent inspection wants me to send him the original pictures used for my report.

The buyer was not at the post-inspection review, so I did the review with the agent only, but I agreed to meet with them later to go over the inspection. The agent is now asking to get a copy of the pictures to review with the report. But my pictures are already in the report (except ones that I took to reference my location or a brand name, or other pics that are useful to me only, etc) I am leery of sending these .jpgs as I feel that alone, they can be used out of context.

Is it just me, or is it weird that the agent is asking for this? Has this ever happened to any other inspectors out there?
I’m hoping that there is something in writing that I can quote to him, when I tell him no. Instead of just, “I’m not comfortable with your request.”

Thanks for your time!
Steve Nodal
Quest Inspection & Consulting Services

Following.
This is interesting.

1 Like

It’s weird, unusual, whatever you want to call it. Personally I wouldn’t give anyone Any photos that were not in the report. Tell them all you have is copies of the ones that are in the report, all the others have been deleted.

3 Likes

^^^^^yep^^^^^

1 Like

Who did you deliver your report to?
Your client and the agent, or just your client.

This doesn’t pass the “smell” test. As Chris says, tell him he already received all the pictures in the report. No other explanation is required.

4 Likes

To me it sounds like they might take the other photos and Photoshop then into your report to make it less of a problem for their sale.

2 Likes

The agent is not entitled to either the report or the pictures unless he paid for it. My reports are locked so they can’t be changed by anyone except me.

1 Like

Report delivered to the agent. The agent arranged everything, but gave me the name for the buyers. He also paid…which kinda makes him my client.

Well if he already has the report, you could either create a pic file & send it to him or tell him you don’t have the ability to separate them from the report he already possesses.
Ask him WHY the request… … …
Have you had any contract with the buyers or is this fishy?

1 Like

No jpegs. Whats in the report is it … PERIOD, to anyone

3 Likes

I’ve had no contact with the buyers, which usually isn’t a big deal, as it’s usually because they live out of town or something logical, but this buyer lives just a few blocks from the inspected home. So…Yes, this is fishy! My feelings won’t be hurt if he decides not to use me again.

The request is no different than asking for your notes and any drafts of the report you may have. Tell this agent you stand by your report and that’s that, making it clear without saying so that if anyone comes at you for any reason, you’ve got the goods.

1 Like

In that case give him the finished report. The report is whatever you say it is. The finished product. He is still not entitled to your notes, be they written or photos, your computer , the software you wrote it on. etc. Just the finished report. The report should speak for itself.

1 Like

The Pictures You included in the Report are the only pictures You chose to make up the Report and Pictures in the report should not be seperate from the report. All the pictures you took are your Intellectual Property. I’m sure that your agreement or contract is that you provide a (the) Report in exchange for the agreed upon fee. That is all you need to provide anyone with. Now if he wants to purchase those extra pictures that is Your Property (and no one else’s). Let him pay an extra fee!

I know some inspectors when delivering a hard copy of a report may even include all the raw images on a disc…But I’m thinking that this could come back to bite you. (same as if you give any photos to the agent) What if there is a defect in one of those photos you did not report?? Think about it, How many times in this forum does someone post a photo asking an opinion about one defect and we inspectors point out other defects that are also in the picture??

I keep all my photos (hi-res), from all my inspections and will be prepared to pull them out for my defence (like the closet full of stuff blocking my view on the day of the inspection) but I sure don’t want to have them used against me in a court of law…

3 Likes

Photos may include incidental inclusion of personal possessions, vehicles or other private data. I edit or mask all valid private information from my images (picture of family; yes. Shovel against wall, no). I would not distribute original photos for privacy reasons.

1 Like

Nope. Agree with your reasoning completely. you cant control the context, the report contains your findings.

1 Like

What Larry said.

You might want to read your state Realtor forms. The Purchase Agreement here makes it clear, in multiple paragraphs, that the home inspector client is the Buyer. Who pays for the inspection may not be the client.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your time and your responses!! It is greatly appreciated!

It was very fishy to me, from the beginning, which is why I posted the question.
You have all confirmed my thoughts on this subject. NO!!

He sent another email today requesting the pictures. The following is an excerpt from my reply to him; Plain, simple and polite. (I feel so anyway)

“As per our conversation at the inspection, I would be happy to meet with them, to review the inspection and answer any questions…
…Have them contact me to set up a time.
Regards,
Steve”

1 Like

He just replied with, “…They just show better and I can blow them up.”

So to me, this IS WHAT THE INSPECTION REVIEW IS FOR! Viewing the large pictures on my laptop, so I, the inspector, can explain my findings. (this all said in my head of course)