Closing summary when inspection has been completed.

Interested in hearing about how some of you close out inspection. Do you go over every item with client? Do you tell client you’ll have report the next day? As for me I like to make sure client understands all my findings and recommendations etc.

Clients are with me 95% of the time for the full inspection, and receive an education they never imagined, such that my clients have loads of information to work with while waiting for my report. At that point, the report is more a formality than anything.

I usually say this…“Th-th-th-that’s all folks!”

I walk them through the photos on a tablet. This covers all the big stuff and helps when the see the photos later in the report, because they have heard bout the issue and seen the photos previously. It also enables them to virtually walk the roof, attic, crawlspaces, etc. and see close-up (20 MP) details of what’s noteworthy there. I helps me because I don’t have to memorize all of the discussion worthy items to review.

We run through all the items. I use a surface pro and can show then basically completed report with pictures. If they want to go look at any of the items or if there are issues I think they should actually see, we go and show them. This method gives them a change to see issues and ask questions.

I walk them through the home. Most of my clients are not with me through the inspection so a walk and talk is the way I like to do it. I keep my camera handy with all the photos in it. When we get to the attic hatch I pull it out so they can see it. When we discuss the exterior I use pictures to show any issues I may have found. Takes about 1/2 - 3/4 hr to do it but they are happy and clearly understand the issues. I also give them pen and paper to write anything down. I keep a tape measure with me as well in case they want a room size or window size.

Conversations are always considered hearsay. He said/she said. FWIW, that full education and loads of information is probably going in one ear and out the other. That education they never imagined should be clearly contained and well-documented into your written report, so they can take it all in at their own pace, away from the “pressures and hurriedness” at an often time-restricted inspection.
A quick walk-through of major components (heating, foundation, electrical, attic, etc.) and bigger defects/issues is sufficient, at the end of the inspection.

I think you have it backwards. Conversations at the inspection are a formality, not the written documentation.

Wow, really?
(I’ll keep this short)… you have NO friggin’ clue what you’re talking about. Perhaps that’s the experience YOU have with YOUR clients, but it is in no way even close to mine!
I truly feel sorry for any clients you may have.

LOL! I read the post before and thought: “Gee, I wonder how Jeffrey’s going to respond to this…”

Are you disappointed? :cool:

His last sentance where he contradicts himself was the icing on the (stale) cake! :lol:

If the client is in attendance I always have a chat with them about what I found. If the client is absent or an out-of-towner (which are most of my clients) I give them a courtesy call to discuss my findings and tell them to follow up with any questions after reviewing the report. I take a lot of pictures so the second conversation doesn’t happen that often.

I am lucky if anybody attends the inspection here. Probably only about 25% of the buyers attend. I will walk with them at the end and point stuff out if they are there.

Do you ever invite them to attend (not the same as asking if they will be attending)?

I always try to get them to come. I like my job and enjoying going over the findings with the people that do attend. It also gives me an opportunity to show them in person where the shut-offs are and to give them maintenance pointers. It seems like a lot of people here are not educated on the importance of keeping their homes maintained. I put my foot through a deck the other day that could of easily have been avoided if the homeowner was proactive about maintenance issues. I am going to start being more proactive in trying to get them to come.

Nice. I have found that the benefits far outweight the negatives when they attend, especially if for the entire inspection, not just the last 30 minutes.

I review the Summary with the Client, then we go over the entire report on my laptop. After that we walk the property and discuss the summary items and any concerns they may have.

Then I get paid. :smiley:

I always give a summary at the end of the inspection, ask them if they have any questions and tell them I’ll have the report to them later that day.

It’s a good time to wrap things up as it can be a lot for a new home buyer to take in. Unless they’ve been through this before they’ve definitely learned a lot about their new home when we’re done.

And usually the agent is paying attention so they have a heads up on what they’ll be putting in the addendum for repair requests.

I try my very best to get them to come to the inspection. In most cases they do. So as I do the inspection I will point out things I find to them. By that time they would have an idea what the issues are, but I still re-iterate the major issues at the end.

There should always be another person with you on every inspection. The buyers’ agent, or the buyer themselves. For your own personal liability reasons, which are many.

I try to tell people at the beginning of the inspection how the inspection and how the wrap up will take place, and fwiw I tell folks I’ll cover any significant items on site and answer most any (relevant :smiley: ) question they have as now is the time while everyone is on site.