Cloth jacketed vs cloth wiring

Hi experts, I am a homeowner who had a 4 point inspection done and the inspector claims I have cloth wiring. The electrician I hired says that no this is not cloth wiring and that as a 1955-built home, it is not the “dangerous” kind of cloth wiring. In my internet searching I am guessing he means this is cloth jacketed. I am attaching a photo so you can see what the inspection report shows. What do you think?

I’m not a Florida located inspector, so I can’t speak to what your lunatic insurance companies do down there, but I will say this…

Yes, those are ‘Cloth Sheathed’ conductors (as stated in the photos), BUT… the sheathing is deteriorated, thus may need to be (further) repaired as required by the insurance companies. JMHO.

2 Likes

I agree with your electrician, based off the limited pictures you have provided.

1 Like

I agree with the electrician that it’s not the commonly referred to cloth covered wiring that some home inspectors will say. However, as Jeffrey noted it’s in brutal shape. Any new outlets, fixtures etc. will very likely damage those conductors, which already appears to have happened based on the electrical tape I see. If the Electrician is willing to sign off on it and say it’s completely safe as is with no necessary updates so be it.

1 Like

Can we find any good documentation on these for him? I can’t seem to find much that doesn’t differentiate between the two well.

Good information here.
Old Fabric-Insulated Electrical Wire & Cable Identification Photos, history, safety, trademarks, properties (inspectapedia.com)

4 Likes

Neil posted the site that I have researched many times. Great info and knowledge there.

1 Like

When the insurance underwriter sees that 1st photo, you’ll need to take action no matter what the form says.

The Citizen’s form simply ask about the “presence of cloth wire”, it doesn’t get very granular or specific.

2 Likes

Wrong thread…

Looks like a cloth braid over rubber insulation. Are the conductors tinned copper?

I think you should fire the electrician. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

3 Likes

The condition of the insulation is more important than the material. Insulation in poor condition (yours) can be dangerous and should be evaluated by an electrician with sufficient experience.

3 Likes

I hear this question often regarding 4-Points. Citizens wants to know if there is cloth wiring regardless of its condition. If there is any braided fabric, whether as part of the conductor’s insulation or as a sheath over conductors, the inspector should check the cloth wiring box.

3 Likes

Here we go again with the Florida 4-points. Looks to me to be rubber insulated tinned copper conductors; yes, it’s one type of, aging deteriorating, cloth wiring…But not the “dangerous kind” according to your guy.

The Citizens four point under “inspector requirements” notes that “A trade specific, licensed professional may sign off only on the inspection form section for their trade. (e.g., an electrician may sign off only on the electrical section of the form”)

It’s not a contest, have your electrician sign off on it, see how that works out for him and you…

1 Like