Cloth wire or cloth sheathed non metalic cable?

Here is the type of cloth wiring I will call out on the 4 point. It has a cloth braid around the conductors, but it also has rubber insulation, instead of plastic.
The conductors are also usually tinned copper, so they dont react with the rubber.

1 Like

What a bunch of dumbasses. Go to inspectapedia and figure it out for yourself

1 Like

Hey now, you used to be alot of help too!! Not too long ago, actually, you answered my phone calls! haha

1 Like

Brother I will still do it. I just hate stupid question.

Do we think it is stupid because we know the answer or is it because it does not feel important enough to ask?
Now that is a question. lol

2 Likes

When I first started doing 4 points, I wasn’t sure about the whole cloth wire thing either… and I called this out one time. Client had to pay for an electrician to look at it, who said it was fine, and then I looked foolish.
So I try and help others when I see alot of the same questions I had.

6 Likes

If you start by trying to find the answer yourself .

This question comes up a lot so I’m wondering where is the information is coming from? From what I’ve read here “cloth wiring” (a terrible name) is only tinned copper with rubber insulated conductors.

2 Likes

My best guess is it goes back to the ‘pre-NACHI’ days of the ‘ASHI-Realtor-Insurance Company’ love triangle! ASHI would literally say/do anything to get in bed with the (at the time) key players to insure their ‘authority’ in the industry, (which worked), and we still deal with the lingering effects to this day.
InterNACHI has made great strides in battling this, but still has a l-o-n-g way to go to fully eradicate this cancer that once thrived!

2 Likes

Here is a good article by Whitt Inspections on the subject.

2 Likes

Thats just what I’ve learned from talking to electricians, and other inspectors…
But I have seen firsthand how the older wiring with the rubber insulation and tinned copper are usually in poor shape. (Rubber gets brittle, and usually cracking), while I have never seen the thermoplastic wiring in poor shape.
However, I am still not convinced the 4 point is asking about the rubber insulation, or actual cloth insulation, which I have only seen one time.

1 Like

I glanced at the article but I did notice that it actually uses the term “cloth insulation”. Can this actually be correct?

1 Like

I found it interesting in Marcel’s article that cloth insulation was said to be prone to insect and rodent damage. The latest eco friendly wiring insulation is based on soy products rather than petroleum (plastics) and has literally become a feeding frenzy for rats, mice, and squirrels. This is reportedly happening most often in automobile wiring; namely Tesla! It is the perfect synthesis of man and nature! Edible cars.

2 Likes

Also look closely at the white tape does it look melted to you?

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Your contribution was amazing! I will use your text.

… I’ll be careful about what will be done in this maintenance. I will pass it on to our group!

Don’t know, but used again here;

Commonly used before 1960, this type of wiring consists of a cloth-insulated wiring complex. The copper is wrapped in cotton or rayon. Additionally, rubberized insulation or asbestos paper was also used in the mix.

Over time, the wiring becomes frailer and frailer, turning into a major risk for your appliances, as well as yourself. Your home is exposed to several dangers, sometimes without you even knowing it. Here are 5 of the most common hazards:

• Health issues: older cloth wiring may contain asbestos, which means your health could be at great risk, as long-term asbestos exposure can cause serious harm and it’s even linked to cancer.
  • Excessive heat: this type of wiring may have difficulties containing heat and this may pose a threat to surrounding areas, exposing them to excessive heat.
  • Electrical fires: cotton wiring may become brittle and when that happens, your home is exposed to fire risks.
  • Lack of grounding: old wiring, in general, is seldom properly grounded and cloth wiring makes no exception. Ungrounded wiring can be dangerous.
  • Increased risk of damage: this wiring is much more susceptible to insect and rodent damage. Insects and rodents may chew on the wiring causing greater damage and increasing fire risk.
    What Is Cloth Wiring & Why You Shouldn’t Have It - Penna Electric
1 Like

THANK YOU SO MUCH MARCEL!!

Possibly… thus the problem with double lugging… loose conductors/connections!!

1 Like

I believe this topic helped me a lot, I see that my colleagues are very solicitous, and that makes me happy. All of you were amazing, I didn’t expect you to react so well and so quickly, even the ones who were annoyed. I humbly thank and recognize a bond between us. We all started sometime… and we all have doubts and insecurities that we can solve or let go without learning… You are the best!

2 Likes