CMI - The Almost Final Definition

Folks

Here is the result of your posts!

To provide a career ladder and motivation for aging inspectors as they progress through their path as a home inspector. To motivate newer inspectors to achieve greater success in meeting the increased level of professionalism and to overall educate the consumer on the differences of experience and qualification levels within our industry.

A true master inspector is one that has been in the trenches at every level. Crawled enough crawl spaces and attics, spent countless hours with customers and realtors and completed inspection reports for every situation.

A true master inspector will have devoted countless hours mentoring new inspectors, volunteering in leadership positions, authored qualified articles in trade journals or magazines for real estate, trained new inspectors, educated realtors, attorneys or a combination of all.

A true master inspector is one with an open door policy to helping fellow inspectors no matter what creed and association.

A true master inspector is not an inspector with only education credits and no experience credits.

A true master inspector is one that puts his clients and the industry in front of every business decision he or she makes.

A true master inspector is one that has exceeded every level in our industry and strives every day to better himself, his training as a master inspector for the better protection of his service, company and the clients with whom he works with.

Any thoughts

Michael

How do you plan to quantify this subjective rhetoric and how much will you charge, per word, to include this in everyone’s ad in your brochure?

James B

For you it will be very expensive, for everyone else it will be free!!

Can you not for once focus on something positive. How did you ever get to be in the position you are in!

Michael

Aside from James habitual rhetoric, I don’t see a definition of “Master” in the post.

We can state what a master electrician, plumber, etc. is in any state in America, because the criteria are the same.

There is nothing in that synopsis that explains to the client how the inspector is better at defect recognition and explanation, which is what the client is truly interested in.

I don’t believe a buyer has ever sued an inspector because he explained a defect or hazard too well, or found too many things that gave the buyer cause for concern.

The master inspector must somehow demonstrate that he/she is in the top ten or fifteen percent in the performance of his/her duties, as this is what the paying customer will expect.

I am focusing on something positive, Mike.

It is a CMI program that is NOT under the control of ASHI and FABI…that does not trash NACHI in its advertising…and is not simply a marketing scheme to make money for Inspection Depot. That is what I am focusing on…

And it does not matter how many threads you start to try to spread your baloney…You cannot escape the light of the stage you have stepped upon.

This is NACHI. Not ASHI or FABI. Here, you must put forth the truth. There is no editing or monitoring posts to hide your shame. There are no charters that require the members to support your bad ideas.

Get used to it, Mike.

If you want support for your program…take it to the CMI Board that existed before you had the program. We trust them. We do not trust you.

That…is positive.

Do you have a mouse in your pocket James.:p:p

Sorry. Todd trusts you, Mike.

Better, Todd?:smiley:

Good post Mr Wiley.

Michael did you read this?

Posturing without substance to a forum of veteran inspectors
makes us feel like you are talking down to us. Your mind
is locked into the “salesman mode” and you can’t understand
why we are not impressed. It is starting look silly Sir.

I believe most of us who are somewhat educated in the English language would define a master in this instance as “a person eminently skilled in something, as an occupation”.

With this in mind, how do we define a master in the performance of his/her duties, which is what the public will be concerned with??

Michael,

Please answer Mr Wiley’s question without another post
of sales hype and pre-canned slogans.

Michael
also add: Abiding by the industry’s toughest Code of Ethics

Much. LMAO:D

It’s not that I don’t trust Mike. It’s that I don’t trust the whole ball of “CMI” starting from the very begining that’s keeping my guard up. So, I will just watch and see what comes of this mess.

Carry on. :cool:

A true master inspector will have devoted countless hours mentoring new inspectors, volunteering in leadership positions, authored qualified articles in trade journals or magazines for real estate, trained new inspectors, educated realtors, attorneys or a combination of all.

Nice, but how does this qualify or disqualify anyone, if CMI is based on education and/or experience.

A true master inspector is one with an open door policy to helping fellow inspectors no matter what creed and association.

Same observation and question.

A true master inspector is one that puts his clients and the industry in front of every business decision he or she makes.

Who is CMI to decide for me what I think or how I operate my business, so long as I do so in an ethical manner. Same observation and question.

A true master inspector is one that has exceeded every level in our industry and strives every day to better himself, his training as a master inspector for the better protection of his service, company and the clients with whom he works with.

What does this mean, exactly?

Not to be cynical, here, but I cant remember a single post, suggestion, or criticism on any thread Mike posted where these words or ideas came out. Is it just me? Did I miss something?

Look at the curent requirements for CMI. They are fine, and Nick has stated that they will not change. Thbis definition is altrustic poppycock. It’s meaningless gibberish. None of the items posted above prove a damned thing as to education, knowledge, experience, or ability. Absurd.

Almost final? I hardly think so.
But, the telling part of this all goes back to one of Mike’s previous answers to a question regarding current CMIs. That being “true CMIs have nothing to fear”. Well, that would depend on whose definition of a CMI we’re benchmarking by, doesn’t it…

I also trust Michael…and Todd!:smiley:

"countless hours mentoring new inspectors"

How do you measure something that is countless? What does this mean. To me, “countless hours” may be five, depending on what I am doing. (eg: I spent countless hours weeding the garden).

"volunteering in leadership positions"

I guess being head of the PTA helps qualify you as a CMI, no?

"authored qualified articles in trade journals or magazines for real estate"

Wow. What’s a qualified article? Who qualifies them? I used to have a monthly feature article in WebSphere Develpers Journal, where I spoke on everything from loading to power production and distribution from the utility side. Are these “qualified” articles?

"trained new inspectors"

What if I hate new inspectors because they give me hives? Do I need a doctor’s note to be excused?

"educated realtors, attorneys or a combination of all"

So, now I’m required to do this, as well? And this proves what, exactly?

"A true master inspector is one with an open door policy to helping fellow inspectors no matter what creed and association."

Sure. I’m the sucker training some ASHI inspector, who can go to his monthly meeting and proclaim what a shmuck I am. And creed? (WTF ? !!!) What does religion have to do with this? What’s the base religion of a CMI, anyway? Is it Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Pagan, Druid, or other?

"A true master inspector is one that puts his clients and the industry in front of every business decision he or she makes."

“Honey. We cant pay the bills this month. As you know, I am a CMI now, and between the free mentoring, religious observations, and client wishes for free inspections, we have no money this month.” CLIENT in front of every business desision? WTF?!!! And the “industry”? What’s this? Does this mean since Mike’s decisions are for the betterment of the industry, if we dont drink the Koolaid he’s peddling, we arent worthy of CMI?

If this description was so subjective… no wait… PATHETIC, I might not be laughing so loud right now. I am blinking in absolute amazement.

What next? A secret handshake? Perhaps a secret sign. No, perhaps a special chant or song. How about long fur coats, straw hats, and CMI flags.

I’m laughing so hard right now, I’m crying.

Perhaps we are rushing to fill in the blanks a little too quickly.

I think that reaching even a broad sense of agreement on the generalizations posted by Michael at the top of this thread represents a step forward that has - to this point - not been formally made.

One step at a time.

Now, if we can all accept these generalities as representative of what a CMI is, we can start to definine “countless hours” and “exceeding every level”, etc in more concrete terms.

Along those lines, I believe that the generalizations are a fair represnetation of what I would expect a CMI to be.

Joe,

With every new post, you prove yourself to be the ultimate fence sitter, and totally clueless.

What is it that you do during an inspection, anyway. For someone so intelligent, you surprise me.

Please try and explain even one of the requirements in Mike’s description.

Take the creed one, if you’d like.

No, wait… do countless hours. Are they 100? More than 100? How about 1000?

How are you going to verify any of the flowery things Michael listed?
CMI has got to a verifiable measurement.

Who on the review board of peers will feel that all my public
relation efforts and training of realtors and lawyers met the
CMI standard? Are we going to get Realtors and Lawyers
to write reviews for us on how much they enjoyed our training?
Where in the SOP is that? Why is that a CMI?

Most Realtors I talk to, off the record, mock home inspectors
who come to their little monthly meetings and try to suck-up
to everybody. Does this count as training?

Let’s get real, please.

Suck-up is such a bad description. How about a$$ kiss. There… I feel much better.

Why not reward Michalski with an appointment to the “peer review” committee, Mike? With your other two NACHI “watchdogs” suddenly gone silent in your defense, I’m sure you can use a “watch puppy”?:smiley: