CMI - The Return

Folks

My week has been hectic here.

I have spent a lot of time reading the treads and trying to get a grasp on what CMI is to become based on the NACHI membership feedback, and on my discussions with Nick and other industry leaders.

Nick has made it clear that CMI is not NACHI and NACHI is not CMI. So have many other members here. One of my objectives is to make this perfectly clear to every association member. I will not make everyone happy here in the short term, but for this to work, this objective is critical.

In the past couple of weeks, I have discussed the concept with a number of trusted inspectors. On the NACHI side, I have asked both Paul Abernathy and Gerry Beaumont to consider the position of peer representatives for NACHI. Both are excellent candidates, have been with NACHI for a long time. They are liked by many, disliked by some but respected by all. I have not received an official confirmation yet that they have accepted, but I am sure I will find out soon enough.

I have also asked Scott Emerson, of San Antonio to be executive director of the CMI program. Scott has been around the inspection industry for a long time, is very well respected and owns one of the first home inspection companies to start in his area. Scott brings a lot of leadership skills to the table.

This is a huge project to get a grasp on. Developing a business plan that makes sense is crucial. The objective has to be more than perception when it is all over. Not to steal JB adage, but bringing a hand gun to guerilla war fare is just not going to work.

As far as qualification requirements, membership, fees, entrance requirements etc, we will get to these in good time.

I am awaiting some other calls, over the next few days, but will keep you updated as they come in.

Remember Rome was not built in a day.

Michael

A daunting task, Michael, and I wish you well.

Hi to all,

Michael, I am up for any and all challenges that make CMI a viable proposition, I look forward to working with Paul assuming that he will also accept the challenges comming up.

Regards

Gerry

Good candidates. Are you going to consider anyone from nachi that is not in the education business?

I nominate Jim Bushart. No I’m not joking. But then I guess that wouldn’t work since it’s no longer a NACHI designation.

Michael,

I accept the challenge and working hard to make the CMI program become into something great. Everyone knows my position on it and I think it can be something that helps the industry and everyone involved.

I have worked with Gerry in the past and look forward to working with him again…a fine gentleman and it will always remain my goal to help the CMI program…

I look forward to working to make it an excellent program.

Remember…Ben…WE may be educators…but we are very…PRO-NACHI…and care about the wellbeing of the members and I think education and assurance will be a large factor in the CMI’s success.

What happened to Joe Farsetta? Why not include
him on the CMI board since he is already a member?

I see that Scott Emerson promotes his assoc. with ASHI
on his web site.
http://www.inspector4u.com/index.htm

I have no problems with Gerry or Paul, but would
like to see someone who does not have a vested
interest in education also.

Seems to be a pattern forming.

Guys…from my understanding Me and Gerry are looking out for the interests of NACHI members within the CMI…but the CMI is not going to be a NACHI product as it goes on…it is open to ALL organizations…

Again from my understanding it is not a NACHI thing…if it was…or anymore…it will be open to all organizations…and I and Gerry are offering to ensure the NACHI members are represented well…

Thank you Paul for watching out for the NACHI interest within the CMI.

Do both of you, Paul and Gerry, believe that the previous agreements
with CMI members should be honored and grand fathered in?

Such as no annual dues, present membership statues unchanged?

This is what Nick told us, the present CMI members.

What are your feelings?

Do you feel your position on the CMI board will be endangered if you
share from your hearts what you really feel?

What is more important, your moral beliefs or your CMI position?

Would you take a negative stand against the changes in the
CMI board and ideas, even if it meant you would be kicked off?

I simply will not partake in the questioning of my qualifications or honesty…I have NEVER give reason to question either. I will not be involved in this thread or topic again until I understand where the CMI is heading and will give Mr. Rowan a chance to conference with me and explain his vision.

Mr. Bushart can believe what he would like of me…I have no agenda.

P.S. I hope that EVERYONE can understand this post clearer than my Electrical Posts !

I simply will not partake in the questioning of my qualifications or honesty…I have NEVER give reason to question either. I will not be involved in this thread or topic again until I understand where the CMI is heading and will give Mr. Rowan a chance to conference with me and explain his vision.

P.S. I hope that EVERYONE can understand this post clearer than my Electrical Posts !

Paul, do you have any CMI courses that you will be offering?

Where have I missed the point?? CMI is not related to any asso. Thus the board does not need any reps of any asso – vendor – education group - period.

Peer review is not the same as auditing. If this asso. thing gets into the inter-workings of the CMI program the NACHI reviewers will always approve the NACHI inspectors etc.

Mike do you not see a possible conflict of interest with two of your board being on your staff??

Please start thinking out side the box a little or you will kill the CMI program. If that is what you are trying to do say OK and give it back to Nick to get some one else to run it.

In short I am all for you to drive the ship so to speak but your lack of experience and judgment is showing. Some of us might have been born at nite but it was not last nite.

If a person retired from — you name it related to HI profession – how would you open the gate to the CMI program to that person?? As I have suggested to you, I do think that all members of your board should be CMI’s. I seem to see that Jeff is not, the last time that I checked, a CMI and you are putting him on the board!

Paul is a super addition to the board if you are looking for someone with electrical background. Now what about the other trades??

Right now some of us are into throwing stones and not giving you ideas. Reason – you have not picked up on the ideas and thoughts that we have given you so far.

I am still 100% for the CMI program. As one of the charter members who also meets the new standards I would like to see the program get better – Just remember that the program is not bad at this point in time.

Another quick question – How will you have time to be president (CEO etc.) of CMI and still do all the other things that you do?? 200 CMI’s is one thing 2000 is something else.

rlb

Scott Emerson, of San Antonio

Would you like to also become a CMI??

rlb

I question what is to become of the existing curriculum, as several approved educational providers have made heavy investment in, in both time and money, over the past 12 - 18 months.

I also question why no one on the current CMI board was asked to participate in any of this. I am curious as to whom Mr. Rowan had bothered to contact.

I also will question any annual dues for membership. CMI is a professional and marketng designation. There is no real need for any substantial $$ for setting up a database and website. So why the need and how much the entry fee and recurring dues will need to be examined.

Finally, it is dissapointing that this was all done under the cover of darkness. I also wonder why, with so much talent available here at NACHI, a NACHI member was not chosen to head the org.

It is interesting how it appears as if CMI is morphing into ASHI-lite. I would hate to see this turn into a tool to be taken advantage of by ASHI and FABI-tyes, at the expense of NACHI membership. Remember, the CMI designation was originally a NACHI designation, available exclusively to NACHI members.

Now we have an ex-ASHI, ex-FABI leader, working under the cover of darkness, developing the next best thing for those who have sworn to either destroy us, hate us, or think our members, our education, our testing, our programs, are sub-standard.

As to peer-review, this is the old-boys network at its finest. It legitimizes membership by a subjective standard, at best. So, who will judge us all?

There is no need for peer review. One either qualifies or does not. Where an exception is asked for, then there exists a legitimate reason for a review of an applicants desire to be granted admittance by exception. There’s where a review committee is legitimate. I invite anyone to go into the archives and look into Hoper’s distaste for NACHI and its members. This was one of Mike’s first choices. I ask why such a dividing force would be asked to participate in CMI.

Funny how Mike never bothered to bounce those ideas off of anyone. But then again, he told us that any decision HE made was based on HIS experience. Oh well.

Very dissapointing.