Code of Ethics

Deleted double post

The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI) promotes a high standard of professionalism, business ethics and inspection procedures. NACHI members subscribe to the following Code of Ethics in the course of their business.

1. Duty to the Public[LIST=1]
  2. The NACHI member shall abide by the Code of Ethics and substantially follow the NACHI Standards of Practice.
  3. The NACHI member will not engage in any practices that could be damaging to the public or bring discredit to the home inspection industry.

[/LIST]When you make derogatory comments about HI’s, HI associations etc. you are in violation the Article 1.2 Those comments usually come back to haunt you.

Thanks Vern - I agree with you 110%

Well… I haven’t been haunted yet. And I guess Nick has breached the COE too along with many other Nachi members who state side lambaste ASHI.

Some consider that freedom of speech (expression)! Is it morally right - that is a whole other issue.

Vern,

Open debate and addressing apparent wrongs is not a discredit to the home inspection industry. Our message board exists for this type of discussion - be it in the technical threads or the others…opinions from all points of view are welcomed and encouraged.

About this time last year, we had a vendor who was copying comments from our message board and posting them on other public message boards that he moderated — using them to make fun of home inspectors and what he considered to be their lack of skill and knowledge in the performance of electrical inspections.

Had he the courage to address the subject on this board, he would have had the freedom to do so by virtue of his membership. Even though his remarks would have offended many, if not most, he would have been free to publish them on this board. But this would have cost him bookings at chapter meetings for the training programs he was trying to sell…so he avoided the discussion here…and took it to the outside.

That was a violation of the ethics code and he lost his membership over it. He still makes a post from time to time, but I don’t think he has ever regained his prior standing and is not being sought after for his seminars, anymore.

But as for posts on this board - one’s right to express his opinion takes precedence. Of course, you can expect the opposite views to be posted as well and you may have to take a few hits on the chin…but that is the beauty of NACHI.

That is a sweeping rule, and could be interpreted many ways.

The only time that this has been interpreted in such a manner as to result in an expulsion was in the case I described.

I believe Joe is now a member in good standing.

He is, now.