Commercial Tilt-up Inspection

Originally Posted By: ccoombs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was contacted by a client to help them with a building inspection. I do a vast majority of their structural engineering. They bought a new commercial building that is a concrete tilt-up.

Tilt-ups aren't my thing. They know this, but would like me to walk with them anyway. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Hi Curtis,

I'm not an engineer but hope this helps. I was researching info on tilt ups once and came across the Tilt Up Concrete Association WEB site at:

http://www.tilt-up.org/

They have some good information there that may help.

Good Luck

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: jpope

Hey Curtis,

What exactly is it that they want inspected? I would imagine that they're looking for a typical commercial inspection and the type of structure would have little to do with it.

In any event, tilt-ups typically show little indication of problems until it's too late. The major indicators are usually in the cord bars at the weld plates and in the pour strip (which is usually covered by drive-way and/or landscaping material).

These structures are typically quite sound once they've been tied in. Roof failure is more common than failure of the structure itself. If the ledgers are visible, check for separation from the walls and deflection at the glue lambs or trusses.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Manny

Thanks for the web site. I came across the same site...but didn't get into it much. I will be reviewing the site today.

Jeff

Yes, they are looking for a typical commercial walk...and much more. They get me involved from a structural aspect in a lot of their projects. I just wanted as much information as possible before the walk. The information you provided is very helpful.

Thank you!

--
Curtis