concrete roofs...I need some feedback.

Originally Posted By: jmertins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Guys… I have a inspection on saturday a.m. and the buyer is concerned about the roof(what one isnt). The roof is a concrete roof…thats right concrete shakes…1 inch thick with a elastomeric coating over them. Anyone have any info to assist me with the assessment, any prior run-ins, tips, ???

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I’m not familiar with that type of roofing with concrete shakes and an elastomeric coating, but I think the general principals for roofs also apply with the major things being overall condition and LEAKS … icon_exclaim.gif

Be careful, because that coating may be a "band-aid". Try to find out what type of coating was applied and why. I would also look for signs of cracked or damaged shakes below the coating, and look closely at the ridge and penetrations.

Did I mention that one of the big thing is LEAKS ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

I plan to treat it as I would all roofs…my concern is the amount of weight that is being applied to the walls…I already know of a area that seems to be showing signs of stress(sagging). I am not not sure who to defer to? i.e. electrician for panel or plumber for plumbing…

thanks for your input!!

John

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Generally if you can see sagging (deflection) of members it may be a concern as this generally shouldn’t be any more than about 3/8" for every 10’. You may want to recommend an engineer be called in to evaluate that if you are concerned.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dvalley

John,

Excellent tips here from Robert. Look closely for worn shakes.
The coating you're referring to is an extremely durable, penetrant sealant and is specifically designed with tenacious adhesion to be used to restore coarse or highly weathered surfaces. It can be used on concrete block, brick, stone, precast concrete, slate, wood shake, metal, stucco and wood.
When you see this coating, you should try to get an up close view as to why this sealant was applied. Most of the time the seller adds this to the roofing material to prolong the life of the roof.

![](upload://zUOPxQwkRhnl3LHK04YjstAXt1o.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks David…I have been doing a little extra research on the concrete roofs and the the benefits of the coating…the sagging is going to be my main point to the buyers and the next step to take for them.

Thanks,

John Mertins

Originally Posted By: jpeck

John,

You are referring to a concrete tile roof which has been coated with elastomeric. Not good.

Contact Ron or Ellen Burns of A-1 Home Inspections, Inc., at (321) 253-0781.

They are experienced inspectors in your area and may be able to give you some good information. Tell them I had you call.

You need much more information than I can type here.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida