Completed my first 11th month warranty inspection

Why the discount? I’m not sure if I follow the reasoning.

2 Likes

Thanks on the info. Will have to test it out.

I can understand a small discount if I did the ‘first’ (Pre-purchase) inspection, but absolutely nothing close to a 2/3rds (66%) discount!!

1 Like

I charge at least 50% more than my competition. And he’s a CMI.

If you’re good at what you do and there’s value to your report, why in the world would you discount?

3 Likes

The reasoning behind was that after reading what was covered by the builder’s warranty and I tailored my inspection to cover just these items it would not make sense to charge full inspection price. But so far the consensus is that it is a general home inspection. I am good with that, I was asking because no one in my area is advertising for it and could not find much information about it any where.

Your inspection has nothing to do with the Builders Warranty.
You are inspecting the home for your Client, to discover any defects since the built date.
I am sure they want the entire home inspected, not just what a Builder tries to scam their way out of.
That is for your Client and their Attorney to deal with!

7 Likes

Absolutely agree.

2 Likes

That’s what I call a nail pop inspector. Your clients can do that, they don’t need you.

I would charge full price and give them a 25.00 discount only if I had inspected it as a new build.

You’ll still have to inspect everything as if it’s your first time seeing it and also you’ll have the same liability.

5 Likes

Exactly, you are 100% right. Why would they pay for something that they can do themselves. I would be dishonest charging them for more that what is required, and what is required they can do themselves. You can call me what you want but the truth is the truth.

I just booked one for next week and gave them $50.00 off due to being a previous client for the pre-purchase.
As others have said the same amount of work. Don’t sell yourself or the industry short.

2 Likes

I had an 11 month inspection about three weeks ago in a $1 million house. I found eight breaks in five trusses. I’m not sure if that would’ve been on the builders itinerary. If I was only focusing on the builders warranty items, this would have been missed

Some photographs from the report

4 Likes

That is part of the builder’s warranty and it extends for 10 years for structural defects.

Everything structural should have a 10 or 15 year warranty, depending on the builder. So that would include the roof, siding, windows, trusses, sheathing, HVAC system, electrical system, plumbing system.

Do you see what I’m getting at. It’s starting to look like a home inspection isn’t it.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine why an inspector would try and determine what the builder might cover, and then only inspect or report on those things.

As you are saying, just perform a regular full inspection and let the client/builder sort out who’s paying for what.

4 Likes

An inspector who doesn’t want to make a builder upset. I could give a flying F what builders think. My clients are my customers.

3 Likes

So, you read the warranty from each builder and change your scope of work accordingly for each client?

This way you are certain the builder is not going to cover the things you ignore?

This is crazy talk. Sounds nothing like a home inspection.

Have you cleared this with your E&O provider?

3 Likes

I guess I am going to have to rephrase my original question.
There is not such thing as an “11th Month Warranty Inspection” only a General Home Inspection conducted on or before the 11th month of warranty period(as close to expiration with enough time to obtain warranty).

Is this correct? I got it. Thank you all. Have a great weekend. God Bless you all.

Nothing wrong with calling it an 11th-Month Warranty Inspection, but I think with most inspectors, it is just a regular inspection. I mean, are you going to not report on something that is wrong because you don’t think the builder will cover it? My guess is no.

Thanks Ryan, that is why my original question was how this was conducted. Now I know, thanks for taking the time to explain. Have a great weekend.

2 Likes