Compressor clearance

Originally Posted By: mroach
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is the minimum clearance for the outside compressor 18"? I no that I have read this somewhere but I cannot find it.

Thanks'
MarkR

--
Mark Roach
A Professional Home Inspection
TREC# 6467
http://www.aprofessionalhomeinspection.com
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mark,

I believe the rule of thumb is 12". I think it is more of a baseline since most manufacturers recommend different distances and clearances.

Maybe someone else here knows if there is a code, I certainly don't know of any.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Clearance in which direction?

Vertically above to an overhang - 60".

From each air intake side, varies by manufacturer - 12", 16", 18", 20".

Between adjacent condenser units - 24", 32", 36", 40" (twice the side clearance because each unit is fighting for the same air).

Clearance to electrical equipment access area - 30" wide by 36" in front of.

Clearance to service area, varies by code - basically same as electrical clearance in most codes.

Not under roof runoff water.

Mounting pad 3" above grade (some less, some more, varies by code), or above minimum flood level if in a flood zone (FEMA).

Not in front of an emergency egress / rescue window. Duh!

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

If you’re speaking of the “condensing unit,” the clearance is typically 12" as stated.

Some models don't require clearance all around the unit, only on the sides with the coils. Some only have coils on two or three sides, others on all four.

Manufacturers set specifications for their own equipment.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thanks for the quick replies.

The clearance I’m looking for is from a wall. I inspected a home yesterday and the unit was 6" from the wall. I reported that the unit should be 18" from the wall for max. Efficiency. Now they want to see this in a codebook. Do you know where I can find this?

Mark Roach

TREC# 6467

“Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection”

Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: dlabrake

The recommendation will be by the manufacturer. Obtain the model number and contact the manufacturer for the required clearances.

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Code in this area is 12" away from any wall or other unit on the sides, 30" between the access panel and any obstruction. If the Building official questions the top Clarence you have to provide the installation instructions. I’ve also have read in some HI books the 18" rule but I think that’s a bit much. If you have 5’ between property lines in this area they let you cram them in some times leaving just enough room to get by with your bags on.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Manufacturer’s installation instructions take precedence over the code. It MUST be installed to meet the manufacturer’s installation instructions. That is how it was tested, listed and labeled.

Tell your client to have the SELLER provide the installation instructions, that the installation instructions will specify EXACTLY how it is to be installed (minimum clearances from here, here, here, how high above grade minimum, be level, etc.), and, while they are looking at THAT clearance, make sure the installation MEETS ALL requirements in the installation instructions.

The seller will likely wish they never opened this can of worms.

You may lose (probably will) on that 18", but will likely win on the fact that the condenser units needs to be (whatever does not meet installation requirements). The seller will then need to make the installation meet the requirements.

I've seen one unit which required something like 'at least 12" on one side, at least 6" on one side, and 30" clearance on the service side'. Now, let's see, there are four sides with intake and coil (service is in one corner), does that mean the other side can have "no clearance" (there are only three clearances shown)? Not really, because, with the service area being on the corner, that entire corner must be free, and that covers two sides. Which leaves us with the 12" and 6" on the other two sides.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry and all thank you for helping me out on this issue. They are going to move the units for the buyer icon_smile.gif

Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman