Concrete foundation crack

My question was there any additional reinforcing steel under the load bearing area. If not that corner could shear off. The rust stains at the bottom of that crack is a red flag to me.

5 Likes

1: Bearing is 1.5", even for the build up wood column - steel beam/girder column intersection if there is a tapered flag. I did not look closely.
2: The foundation expert with inhouse structural engineer I have been referring for 35 years, pours concrete foundations. Only makes sense/dollars:-)
3: The way to be successful as a home inspection business is to learn and to be inclusive to everyone involved and open to learning.
4: As for the vertical crack. I would recommend, Monitor yearly due to the location.
The typical concrete compressive strength used in residential construction is 2,500 or 3,000 psi, although other strengths are available. I used 3,000 and higher.

Moring Randy.
Hope this post finds you well.

How wide/thick is the poured concrete wall?

In my neck of the woods, 10" to 12", but the standard is as you know, 8’ inches as a ‘minimum’ for 6’ foot foundation walls - 10" inches thick on walls taller than 8’ feet.
If/when all things are equal, 1.5: bearing is required.

I uploaded a dimensional illustration to illustrate component dimensions in question.
Illustration

Looks like a foundation corner pop with a point load bearing on it. In addition, the 3 member 2x6 bearing column is lacking a solid bottom sill plate/block. Water is penetrating the crack. I would refer to structural engineer and foundation repair contractor.

2 Likes

It’s there Russel, but only 2 members are really bearing on it. That first one doesn’t amount to much. I bet that crack is also in the inside corner on the outside.

1 Like

Yes, I see that the block is there. Had to use the magnifier to see it. Thanks.

My main question to this is: Why would a CMI need to ask a question like this. There a too many using this designation that have no clue.

He did not ask a question. He said he would like to have other eyes on this. There was no doubt the defect was going into the report. And look at the various ranges of responses from “no big deal to major structural corrections”.

I understand the notion that the CMI designation bar is too low. Maybe so. But regardless of CMI designation, even seasoned inspectors reach out for peer support.

4 Likes

Well said Brian. Always asking, always learning, makes us the best we can be.

4 Likes

Report it … Refer to a foundation contractor for evaluation and repair if needed.

Don’t think it OR talk it to death.

1 Like

Love your thinking. To the point…Next!

Please show me the question i asked? And if i did ask a question, this is the proper place to ask that question, wouldn’t you say!

Now i have a question for you!! why are you still lurking and not providing quality response’s on this MB?

I’m Off This Board and Suggest Others Do The Same - Misc. Discussion - InterNACHI®️ Forum

2 Likes

Thank you to all who have viewed and made positive responses

1 Like

Sorry to go off thread but, appears to be a leak. Suspect: Sub-floor Sheathing rot.

Thank you Robert, That has been addressed.

1 Like

Michael, if you think that was a question, answer it for the guy to see if it helps all.

2 Likes

It looks like point loading to me. The scenario I envision is the (blue arrow) 2x was placed then beam was set. The (red arrows) other 2x were placed later. It is fuzzy when I blow it up, but they look shorter. And depending on how the foundation wall is reinforced, would determine if it is a big deal or not.

Recommend having the crack monitored and evaluated by a structural engineer.

1 Like

One way would be a CMI gains all of their knowledge and experience to become a CMI, in Nevada, California, Arizona, Florida or any other place that doesn’t have full foundation basements. Then that same CMI moves to an area that does have full basements. Seems simple to me.

Or maybe a CMI would like help from time to time. I would rather a CMI ask for help or ask a question if needed, than act as if they know it all. To me there are too many know it all’s in the inspection world.

3 Likes

Tony, the only fuzzy I see is in your avatar. :rofl:

2 Likes

Very true Brian. One is never too old to learn.

3 Likes