Concrete slab sloped toward the house

What do you recommend other than “correction” when you find an adjacent concrete pad/patio/walkways sloped toward or flat against the house? how is this corrected in your area?

Depending on severity, I have seen mud-jacking, floor drains added, poured curbs etc.

3 Likes

I have called it out a number of times, but I don’t know if anything was ever done. Now, I have seen quite a few channel drains installed about 10" away from the house wall.

2 Likes

I just note the grade direction write it in the report and move on

7 Likes

Poor grading near the foundation was observed. We recommend re-grading to assure all water drains away from the home’s foundation. Failure to re-grade low-lying areas at the foundation can cause water seepage under slabs, into the basement / crawlspace, and / or cracks or movement in the foundation.

11 Likes

Yeah, it’s amazing just how often I find this. It’s kind of like the whole plumber’s only thing to remember is that poop rolls downhill (and don’t chew your nails, I suppose).

I write it up to implement drainage measures to prevent water seepage inside, etc. - basically, what Peter wrote above.

As HIs it’s really not our problem that something wrong is difficult to correct. I constantly find wet crawl spaces inside/below patios due to the water being funneled at the house.

This was just from today! I doubt anything will be done about it.
At least it is covered.
Otherwise, I just mention negative grading, and that french drains may be needed if grading is not an option

That house is strange. Look at the difference elevations. Where are the sill plates on each one?

I picture tells a story here.

1 Like

Yes, it was strange. Home was wood frame, on a stem wall crawl space. But I could only view through the vents. I think that side was an addition at one point. I was able to look behind siding at the corner, but I couldnt tell if it was original stem wall, or if I was looking at a concrete footing for an addition. It looked like troweled conrete, not block.
And the roof ridge didnt even line up from front to back, and the attic was not fully visible…

This is behind the siding

1 Like

Addition after addition after addition by Billy Bob and crew and beer. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Big Daddy, Call Uncle Leroy, time to expand!

3 Likes

Pay no attention to behind the beautiful siding… :flushed:

4 Likes

It was a fun house… Look at this corner, which is ironically not near the low spot of the patio, but in another bedroom adjacent to it on that same side.
Look at the laser line, it dropped about 3" at the right.

And here is the inside of the front door (look at the ceiling line)

1 Like

Sorry to hijack your post Simon! Haha

1 Like

LOL!..LOL!..

2 Likes

Ah, the old “let’s hide all the problems behind new vinyl siding”? I mention the shiny siding is new? Look at the quality of the siding.

Daniel, all discussion is welcome :slight_smile: Hopefully you didn’t spend half a day on site @ that place. Levels? Lasers? really :smiley:

2 Likes

What, you never pull out a level? :grinning: I actually only used the level on the patio for the picture… It was visually obvious…
The laser I just pull out when I can physically feel slopes in the floor. Which, around here, is just about every home that has a crawl space.
I was actually only there for just over 2 hours, the report, however…

2 Likes

I’m getting motion sickness just looking at your pictures, lol.

3 Likes

4 Likes