Condensate Drainage

If it were acceptable, why would 99% of the installers go to the trouble of running the pipe to the laundry drain (an indirect waste receptor) or outside the home when that lovely vent is just 10 feet away?

Key word wet trap an 80% furnace does not have a wet trap

The pic depicted in this thread is a totally wrong installation I was commenting on Joe’s use of the word Never which would also be wrong because of the type of furnace 80% VS 90% and we do install 90% furnaces in the attics

Joe’s new found position is providing him enough information to be dangerous! Or should I say, tunnel vision?

The “approved” example you posted is also incorrect for several reasons. It actually violates the building code you stand behind.

Shall we replace wrong with wronger?

to provide a wet trap we also use these…

When did wrapping that black crap around a pipe become an approved connection. You can’t drain down stream from a trap. This rules out the vent stack. There is no air gap gap either so reason #2 it can’t go into the stack. The pan should drain to a conspicuous place like over a window but not over a public way. The reason for the trap is to keep conditioned air from escaping from the pipe to the outdoors and not to keep sewer gasses out because it should never be attached to an area where sewer gas can get into the pipe. Calling it out was right.

What on earth are you talking about? What “approved” example did I post that was also incorrect?

Confusing thread since there are different furnaces, local codes etc.

Here is a picture from code check that shows more than we would typically be able to see on a finished house.

CC-Condensatedrain.jpg

I don’t understand what is so confusing its just plain and simple. The pic from code check is correct based on the fact the primary drain trap at the A-coil is not considered a wet trap. If it was a wet trap then it could be connected downstream of the sink trap or a vent stack in the attic but it must be a wet trap

my pvc drain pipe is out front and did drain constantly while air conditioner was running, I am 1ST time home buyer, house in Dallas tx built 1964, now the heater is on and the pan under it is full of rust and the outside bottom edges of hvac unit has got black spots on it it just looks awfull , also there is a leak tape is undone where the unit heads out into the round insulated round thing that goes out to the vents in the house, what should I do my inspector was very yong and had only inspected aprprox. five houses, total, i thought he was thurow. I got a tyed report and all ,but my concern now is what to do while the heater is running as i speak, is the rust dust harmfull ,as I am sure it has to be picking up a little and mixing with the heated air? please advise, please.