Secondary condensate drain

Hi, new inspector here. Almost every condensate drain setup I’ve seen so far has been set up a little different. But this is the first time I’ve seen this setup in an attic. Is this legit? It seems to me that of the primary drain gets clogged then so will the secondary, causing the air handler to leak in spots it was never intended. Thanks in advance!

It is a different set up than what I usually see, it looks like 2 condensation lines. If the primary line/s do clog, that’s the reason the overflow pan underneath is for. I Can’t tell by the picture but I always recommend a water alarm be installed in the pan to alert if there is a problem.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Levi!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

The primary and secondary drain lines have to be piped separately…However most people around here just turn the secondary down into the pan so if it overflows the pan drain will catch it…I prefer to see the secondary piped outside but it’s never done that way.

1 Like

You have 2 options: a) put an alarm with a float kill switch or b) pipe secondary to conspicuous place. Doing both is best and that is what I always recommend. Staining ceiling is not fun. By the way, the way the secondary is piped, it bypasses the inline trap which can allow unconditioned, dirty, attic air to be sucked into the system depending on the design of the air-handler.

1 Like