Condensate lines

This unit had a sensor at the top of the line in case there was a clog in the pipe. It appears to me that if there was a problem with the drain line while the a/c unit was running it would just back into the furnace since they share the same pipe. I’ve not seen this setup before. Any thoughts?

The only way to fix stupid in this case is to cut it out and start over:roll::roll:

I work on installs for high efficiency furnaces like that all the time, and the manufacturers actually want the condensate drain extension pipe a certain distance above the pressure switch taps to help ensure one of the pressure switches trips before the drain overflows.

Can’t hurt to also install a moisture sensor on that pipe in the event the drain is clogged and the pressure switches fail. I don’t see a cleanout though.

Ya have lost me just where is this condensate pressure switch tap located on the cooling drain or the heating drain. The way I see the drain in the pic if the inlet to the drain stops up with cold water slim the installed sensor never makes contact with the water

Based on what I am seeing, the condensate float (kill )switch is much higher than the lip or top edge of the typical drain pan. The drain line will back up then the pan will fill up and spill over and the float switch never will engage to shut off the power. Might be the angle we are looking at but it does not look like it was installed correctly for its intended purpose.

I am with you master chief ya know how those engineers are:D;-) especially New York engineers:mrgreen:

I meant to say the condensate drain extension needs to be above the pressure switch taps, which are connected to the pressure switch with small gray flexible tubing. Thats what many manufacturers want.