Condensation around vents causind deterioration

Originally Posted By: mcameron
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/100_2292.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/100_2293.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: tallen

Wow those are big pics. I resized them so dial up users won’t have to wait so long.

![](upload://xum4Tamf45ZmJu6XG0DnFfW6FBT.jpeg)![](upload://zbKwSR8Ec9sVxeWoRVMRJOn4jX.jpeg)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Condensate drain clogged.? (Pic #1)

Dehumidifier no workie? High humidity? Owners like there home at 62 degrees?

Just WAG's on my part. We have some HVAC techs that frequent this board I am sure they will help you out. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Mike, I think Todd is on the right track. This is a counterflow unit, and the condensate drain has stopped up.

The water collected in the evaporator pan until it overflowed and spilled out and also into the ductwork where it was blown thru any cracks or outlets. It looks like they had a secondary drain which must be stopped up also.

I always try to caution the homeowner to watch and when the water starts to come out of the back-up drain be sure to clean the main line.

Reggie

How would the water make its way up to the vents. I understand the overflow with the condensate line, but I do not understand how water/condensation can bleed around the vents. Thanks.

It was about 80 degrees out, the system seemed to be running properly. I just have never had a reading down to 40, it has always been around 50-55.

Whatever is causing this big of a TD is what's causing the moisture at the vents.

At 40 degrees I would imagine you have reached the dew point level.

Was it foggy in the house ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: cbottger

Mike it sounds and looks like there could be multiple problems. The most common problem is the drain stopping up with cold water slim. The evaporator pan could very well be rusted out also from the amount of rust in the Pic I would bet the pan is gone. This unit could also have a very wide spread on the TD which will cause high condensation especially at the opening of the register. Just a couple of thoughts. Doesn’t appear to be much left to repair good luck.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

This was in a multi-unit, the 40 was in different unit than the one that had the condensation problem. The one with the TD of 40 had no condensation problem.

Originally Posted By: cbottger

With a supply temp of 40 degrees you were making lots of condensate and it was going somewhere.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

If the evaporator coil is on the negative side of the blower the drain would require a trap to prevent water from being pulled into the airstream. The drain could be plugged. The drain pan could be cracked or rusted through. The evaporator coil and or blower wheel could be dirty slowing down airflow. Lower airflow means lower supply air temperatures causing slower airflow at registers allowing registers to condense.

Gary Reecher, CM

HVAC Service Technician

MechAcc's Carbon Monoxide Site Links