Condenser question?

I heard that their is a formula to determine the size of a condensing unit does anyone know what that might be?

Thanks for your time.

Don’t know excatly what you are looking for but, Cooling systems may be rated in either BTU’s or Tons. A ton will provide 12,000 BTU’s of cooling an hour.
If your looking for capacity of the condenser, A general rule of thumb is that 1 ton of cooling capacity is needed for every 550 square feet of the home. although it does depend on the climate of the region.

I don’t know if this is what you are looking for excatly.

Yes there is a formula. It has nothing to do with tonnage per square footage.

The formula is complicated and too large to post here. It will take about two years of collage to do this math. Not worth it. Any other attempt to size per (whatever) will leave your butt out there for a law suit. I don’t recommend it.

IAW the SOP and Inspection Agreement, a HI is not required to do engineering. This is definitely an engineering thing (that I recommend you keep away from).

Look at ASHRAE for you personal information/education. This is the engineering standard for HVAC equipment.

Hi there,

If you are looking for tonnage the model number normally includes a reference to the BTU output, this as was suggested can be divided by 12 to give tonnage, for example

HVAC481234 = a 4 ton unit
HVAC361234 = a 3 ton unit
HVAC301234 = a 2 1/2 ton unit

And so on

Regards

Gerry

thank you for your help guys. Really helps.