Determining air conditioning tonnage

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there an easy way in the field to determine the tonnage of an air conditioner that is not marked with btu. I did one the other day that was made by Singer (thought they just made sewing machines) and the plate was completely illegible.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbell

When you can read the plate look at model number, anything that is divided by 12 tells the tonnage. such as a 36 would be 3 ton, a 42 3 1/2 ton or you can look at the rla number and divide by 5.5 to have a good estimate.

With no plate I am not sure

Maybe someone can enlighten me also.

I bet Joe M knows. I have a coupon for a free dozen of krispy kreme doughnuts. How about it Joe.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: dbush

Igor, I’m sure I can call you and you will help me lift it onto the scale, don’t worry I’m down here in the Ozarks, I can get a bunch of Bubbas to help. icon_lol.gif

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: phughes

http://www.customerservice.carrier.com/

Frequently Asked Questions

Home Comfort

Product Information > Condensing Unit Size

Question:
How do I determine the size of my condensing unit?

Answer:
First, determine the model number of your unit. For example, it might be in the format of 38TKB036000AAAA or 38TK036000AAAA. The size is in positions 5-7 or 6-8, that is, the first three digits following the letters at the beginning of the model. In these examples, the size is 036. Sizes correspond to BTU's and tons of cooling in the following way:
Size BTU Tons of Cooling
018 18,000 1.5
024 24,000 2
030 30,000 2.5
036 36,000 3
042 42,000 3.5
048 48,000 4
060 60,000 5

Thanks Carrier

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

icon_biggrin.gif i use a rla (running load amps) chart .when tag is worn or missing looking down on top of compressor the tag will have the amps stamped in it. if you can`t see the tag take an amp reading with an amp probe while its running . ------you can find a chart in almost any ac unit spec and maint.book that comes with the unit.--------matt