Condo inspection advice

Can anyone offer me some advice on inspecting condos…

Would it be correct to keep my classifications as either 1)apartment style 2)row house style?

As long as I am meeting my SOP, is it appropriate to simply ignore “comon areas” such as exteriors, roofing, exterior doors, windows, decks etc?

And most importantly, what about issues surrounding things such as “pre/post tensioned cables”, “leaky condos” and other condo specific issues that have necessitated special assesments against owners?

Feel free to email me if you wish as I do quite a few.
Just do as much of the common areas as you feel comfortable with however common areas fall under the domain of the Association.
The financial issues are not your domain as it is up to the buyer to collect information or have the lawyer do it for them if they have a representative.
I see you are in the great white north however I think basics on this are the same.

Buyers are often first timers so feel free to give them lots of good maintenance tips and show them how to work the appliances.

Hi Rick

I’m not sure what you mean by classification, here we call them Townhouses or Condominiums.

I inspect them just like a house, I also inspect the common areas and exterior which may directly affect the Condo being inspecting. I try to inspect the roof if accessible if this one is an an upper level unit or two story…other wise I recommend they consult with the association regarding what the maintenance program is and when the roof was serviced, repaired-replaced in the past.

Like you said any assessments for the HOA would-could dramatically affect each owner if the need for a new roof covering maybe necessary and the association is broke, its good practice in my opinion to make it a point to convey to the buyer to look into the association just as much as the home itself before their inspection contingency period ends.

Good Luck, they are easy…!

And what Condo Bob said too—:smiley:

Move along Dale-just move along.Nothing commercial to see here .:slight_smile:
In a few years I will need to do commercials however just to let people know…
HI I AM CONDO BOB AND I DO HOUSES TOO.

Thanks guy’s!

How does your report verbiage differ from a residential inspection?
Do you have any samples in regards to HOA being responsible for common areas such as the exterior, roof, fuel delivery etc.?
What else should be in my reports to protect against a client who is later blind sided by a HOA “special assessment”?

Add a rider to you usual contract stating inspection is between the walls and rest is at your discretion.

Commercial Bob! say it aint so, I need some work Bob

Have I got a DEAL FOR YOU.
We do SMALL HOUSES
we do BIG HOUSES
we do OCCUPIED HOUSES
We do EMPTY HOUSES

HURRY HURRY HURRY…:slight_smile:

I see you moving up the ranks with that fancy new site Jeff so do not cry poor around me buddy.haha