Construction Inspections reporting

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Mortgage Co is asking for a structural inspection. One house has or had termites in the sills and joists. Want to know it is not falling in and that is it safe to loan on. Crawl space inspection only.

Second one had a fire at one time. Want to make sure the damage was repaired. Attic and crawl space inspection on this one.

I have done a couple of these but never had a good way to report what I found. Wanted to see how you report the results of these type inspections?

I tend to write a letter on my letter head and if needed include a photo or two or what I find. I just have to be careful of what I say, so I don't say to much.

Anyone have any good suggestions on a better way?

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jeff,

Here in PA you should be an engineer or a general contractor to give a structural opinion, otherwise you may end up being sued for not being a licensed individual with those qualifications. Laws of course vary from state to state so your mileage may vary.

Even for you to state is was repaired correctly would be crossing the line, again your mileage may vary.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhorton

Joseph, your are preaching to the choir! icon_smile.gif

I never make a statement about the structural soundness of the house. I simple report what I see. I have to be careful not to elaborate and offer advice or speculation. But my hard and fast rule for all inspections is report what I see and no more.

The lender calls them structural inspections but like you said I can't do that and that is not really what they need. At least in rare cases. The termite guys says there is termites. They want someone to tell them about the damage if there is any. Or in the case of the other house, if the fire damaged wood has been replaced.

BTW the one I went to see today had some of the worst termite damage I have ever seen. If I have time I will post photos. But I simple report what I saw and where I saw it. And included lots of photos. I think the buyers will back out once they see my photos. If they don't there nuts! But I never say that either. icon_mrgreen.gif

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

If you are not inspecting or reporting on the structural integrity of the house, what kind of inspection are you doing? Of course you are doing a structural inspetion, but probably reporting it in some general terms without using the word “structural”. No matter how you report it, you can’t defend an error or by saying, I wasn’t doing a “structural inspection, only a GC can do that”.

We report on what we find by indicating that there were no signs of structural defiicency. When we find termite damage, the bank wants to know if it is structural. We include "structural damge" on the WDI report, if necessary.

We do structural only inspections, if requested. The difference is that we are not engineers and not doing an engineering inspection. That is a big difference.

On structural issues, we absolutely do some speculating. For instance, if the siding is in contact with the soil or the crawlspace has joists in contact with soil and is not accessible, we will state that there is possibility of structural damage or infestation in areas that were not visible for inspection. Speculation and CYA all rolled into one .

Joe, what if a sill plate was repaired months before your inspection. If someone asks you if it was repaired properly, would you say you couldn't comment because it's crossing the line? What's the difference if the repair was completed before or after the inspection? I'm sure you're competent enough to judge whether the repair was correct. Why not put it in writing if that is your professional opinion and that is what you are getting paid for.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens

I am not sure as what to report on the fire damage. As far as the Termite damage you must note if the home has been treated for termites, you also need to note the damage you don’t have to go into details on the damage just that there is termite damage if you are not certified in termite control by your state you may get into hot water by stating if it is an active infestation or not, I would recommend a WDI report from a Certified Pest Control Operator.

Originally Posted By: csewell

I was taught by a trainer much older than me, that’s something, and he said that fire damage is supposed to be cleaned, with odor removed, and all visible signs properly removed and/or covered. Case in point was the inspector entered an attic and saw black fire stains on good rafters and underside of good roof deck and failed to report it. He was sued or at least made to pay for cleaning, then painting the otherwise good boards and decking. The moral of the story, report any visible signs or lingering odor of past fires, as proper cleanup by insurance-paid-for repairs requires it.

Charles Sewell

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Ladies and Gentlemen, if I may.

If a inspection is requested by a Mortgage Co., Realtor, Lender, etc. remember that a inspection is a inspection. It is the qualification of the inspector that makes the difference. I have seen inspectors that have much more knowledge of home inspection than P.E.'s. Just because someone is a P.E. does make them "knowledgeable" about home inspections, unless they have worked in the home construction industry, designed and or written codes.

I being a P.E. will walk away from certain inspections because I have no knowledge in that area and let an "experienced inspector" P.E. or otherwise, do the inspection.

If the Mortgage Co., or.... asks for an inspection for structural and or fire damage, as long as that person is "qualified" to perform that inspection is the key. If a bonafide "structural" inspection is required, then a Structural Engineer will inspect the property and affix his P.E. stamp to that document, and I guarantee you, it will be much more than you charge!!

Remember, you are a "certified" inspector, with all qualifications to do so, especially if you are licensed in your state. Go for it!!

Ron.