Copper Pipe corrosion

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

And after looking at those pictures in the link, now go back and look at the original pictures. You’ll see much, much more than galvanic corrosion. Much of the corrosion on the top of the water heater is caused by chemical reactions from various chemicals, as I stated previously. Galvanic corrosion pretty much looks the same time after time after time, as in the link pictures.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: lewens

Russel

We could get into this one. I think Mike is right. I have lost too many zinc bushings on the sailboat underwater not to recognize this. It is definately galvanic action. I bet if you dig deeper you will find a loose electrical current or two running around in the water heater.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: tpriddy

rray wrote:

Probably every person in South Texas could send you a picture of their water heater that looks exactly like that. The only difference would be that the chemicals would still be in the picture.

Ray, You are a liar! They don't look exactly like that. They look worse! ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Originally Posted By: rray

lewens wrote:
I have lost too many zinc bushings on the sailboat underwater not to recognize this. It is definately galvanic action.

Some. Not all.

I grew up in a very, very, very, very large, and very, very, very poor Mormon/Catholic family. All of our water heaters looked like this due to leaking chemicals stored on top of the water heaters (we were too poor to actually have shelves). Once I educated my family (and myself) and quit storing chemicals on the water heaters, we never have the problem anymore. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If my current water heater wasn't brand new, I'd do a little experiment for you. I could produce those results in one week or less, guaranteed.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

i see the hi cap. vent piped off in p.v.c. but i don’t see any tephlon or dope on the threads. could the vent have debrise inbetwix the seat and washer, causing it to leak past the unsealed threades, collect on the top, rust the steel, oxidize the copper pipe and brass fitting, and the white shtuff, scale from the water?