Could this be Abestos?

Today I went down in the basement looking for something and got to looking around and noticed the boiler and all the stuff coming off the pipe and then I got to thinking how old this house is and was wondering if it was Abestos and if it is what should I do about it? I took some pictures for you to look at and tell me what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/razor11/DSC00062_zpsd081eb75.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/razor11/DSC00061_zps355e53eb.jpg

It’s certainly possible, however, asbestos can only be identified through laboratory analysis.

Jeff
Do you call out asbestos every time you find it ?

Can I ask why you wouldn’t?

First of all as Jeff pointed out without laboratory analysis who knows what it is.
If I don’t know for sure then why call it out.
It could be a deal breaker on my assumption.
I don’t assume anything.
Secondly the problem from asbestos is during removal and demolition.
In its solid form it poses insignificant risk .
It is the dust that causes the problem “friable”.
Now ! I stand to be corrected .
I took a class many year ago on asbestos removal and don’t recall everything since to much time has past.

I consider it a disservice to my clients if I fail to inform them about possible asbestos containing materials.

If they are at the inspection I explain the hazards.

In my report I carefully explain the issues and recommend testing for certainty as well as refer them to the EPA site on Asbestos.

Whether I see heating system pipe coverings, suspected ACM floor tiles or transite being used for flues or sub slab heat distribution I call it out.

The client is paying me to reveal defects and potential problems that affect the value of the house.

I don’t kill deals. The house does that all by itself.

Thanks for the replies. As you can see in the picture I took that one pipe has its insulation wide open and there is some stuff that has fallen to the ground off of it and the boiler it’s self.

With that said, I only down there maybe a coupole of mins a couple times a week because thats where the washer and dryer are. I never touch the pipes or that area in the picture. It’s always been left alone. I’m still a bit worried about it though.

I have read that it shouldnt be a problem if its left alone and that there is no air coming into the area which there isnt at all.

Sounds good.

If I suspect it I note in report similar to “it may contain, and if it’s a concern to have it tested”.

A recent email from an inspection this past Saturday.

I didn’t mention anything about the popcorn ceiling, but I did, at the inspection, about duct tape.

“Thanks for taking the time to do a through inspection and issuing the report. I appreciate all the information and things you pointed out at the house. I’m so glad you notice the possible asbestos in the basement. I haven’t dealt with it before, but have since read alot about it. I was disappointed to find out that it was once used in popcorn ceiling sprays. I originally planned on scrapping that down, but now I’ll have to get it tested.”

Thank you Chris. I forgot to mention popcorn sprayed ceiling.

Most are not aware of it and I caution clients to have it tested to confirm and not to create air borne particles just in case.

I might mention mainly a concern if done before mid eighties.

I though that was understood.

I use 1979 as the cut off but contractors where allowed to use stocked product even if it contained asbestos.

yep and that is in a friable state also…

Once your client KNOWS it asbestos and does anything to it, they are liable and responsible by law. I prefer not to know and just get rid of it. call me crazy but I hate all the red tape, regulations, and BS from our wonderful lobbied government.

I have a standard statement in every report for homes built prior to 1978, warning of the potential for asbestos building materials.

In addition, if/when I see ACM or potential ACM, I note it in the report just as an “FYI” of sorts. When I see it in a friable form or in a loose-fill type of material, I will recommend removal.

It would be wise to have it tested. You can’t be certain if/when it might have opportunity to release fibers, which would present a danger in your home. By submitting for laboratory testing, you can know for sure if it is, or is not asbestos.