CPVC glued to Copper

Found this CPVC to Copper connection above a water heater apparently using CPVC solvent weld. Can someone please confirm that this is wrong. I’m seeing this so often here in Texas that I’m wondering if the plumbing profession knows something I don’t.

That is wrong…at least I’ve never seen glue for copper to cpvc, before.

What Larry said…in more ways than one.

Yes what Larry and Christopher said. Transition should be made with a mechanical joint not solvent weld.

Not so fast guys.

There is a cpvc sleeve in the copper adapter.

Probably just fine.

Similar to this.

https://images.app.goo.gl/bJoRCvPpGFubozSM8

3 Likes

Before all the big box stores switched to nothing but “push-fit” (shark bite type) plumbing supplies, they sold all kinds of CPVC unions and adapters.
Some were brass colored, some were chromed.

Nothing wrong there, it’s a specialty Sioux Chief ball valve with CPVC transition adapter for the water heater. Them old timers need to hit some CE :slight_smile: and catch up with the times!

Like this:

Another example:

2 Likes

I’m and old timer. I was caught up.

2 Likes

Glad to see you fit the title Mike. LOL

1 Like

My uncle Don’s nickname was Festus.

1 Like

What about the CPVC being Too Close to the exhaust pipe?

2 Likes

A clever way to preheat the water. :wink:

I was referring to the valve… but, since you asked :slight_smile: The copper riser provides an offset from the draft hood in case of a backdraft, and what appears to be a double-wall b-vent has proper clearance to the CPVC, I’m okay with it. If you really wish to get picky, the ball valve has corrosion on it and had been leaking in the past but is likely sealed now by the mineral deposits.

Probably has a cpvc sleeve which makes it ok.

Currently, CPVC piping is connected directly to the water heater. The Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association (PPFA) recommends, “that on gas water heaters there should be at least 6 inches of clearance between the exhaust flue and any CPVC piping .

1 Like

Is there a NSF 61 stamp on the fitting?
ASTM D2846?
ASME B16.18?

If it’s not ASME B16.18 you will not be able to use this fitting in IPC territory. A mechanical joint would have been preferable.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/sioux-chief-metalhead-1-in-cpvc-x-press-copper-adapter-s685c4/_/R-3987118

From what I can see from the manufacturer this material is approved for CPVC. I don’t see where it’s approved for copper ASME B 16.18.

Wow! All this over a flippin’ fitting! :smile:

It’s either right or it’s wrong. Home Depot sells a lot of wrong stuff.

1 Like

You got that right, I was there this week and in the plumbing isle, they must of had like 10 drum traps there just waiting to be bought. They are not legal to use in Maine. All kinds of material don’t meet local codes in that store.

1 Like